Plumb between two fixed points

Discussion in 'Shower & bathtub Forum & Blog' started by Unitink72, Feb 2, 2013.

1. Unitink72

Unitink72 New Member

Beginner question... I've got four shower body sprays roughed in, need to connect them. The have NPT connections. Was planning on copper between them. Did I make a mistake in putting in both the upper and lower ones in at the same time? I could use pex here I guess?
    Sorry the pic came out sideways
    image.jpg
  2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Either remove and replace, or use swing joints. Adding four 90's are a lot less restriction then using PEX which has a smaller dimension.
  3. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Many of those fittings allow a female fitting OR, you can solder the pipe inside of the thing directly. Plumbers generally prefer to solder them in when possible. If yours can do that, I'd remove one, cut the pipe to fit, clean both the pipe and the fittings, then remount them with the pipe in there...then, solder it in. Much more reliable. If you thread the fittings on, then tried to solder the pipe in, you'd likely compromise the threaded connection's sealing, either the tape or pipe dope (neither really likes to get super hot). Why have twice the joints?
  4. Unitink72

Unitink72 New Member

Ah yes your right, these can be either male ntp or female sweat. Thanks for the tip!