plug old galvanized pipe

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by lana87, May 27, 2013.

1. lana87

lana87 New Member

Just bought a house. Front yard has an old gavenized pipe sticking up out of ground only about an
    n inch. Pipe is between meter and house. Around it is big roots from a big oak. Can not dig down to the main to solve problem due to roots. I turn on water at meter and water comes to house but also comes out of this pipe. I have pluged with a good size stick but water still comes out around stick. There are no threads on outside of this pipe. There are threads on inside of pipe. I believe pipe is half inch on inside and maybe at one time was for outside faucet. I want to plug it. Do they make anything i can stick down in this hole to plug this up. Pipe is so old i dont want to try threading outside of it for a screw on type cap. Keep in mind i am a woman but grew up in a house with contracting dad and brothers so i am pretty good at doing myself. I have been given one idea which iss to find a rubber washer and a bolt that will fit in hole and that rubber will expand sealing tge hole. I just want to plug this thong so i can keep water on all the time. Please help!
    Last edited: May 27, 2013
  2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Unusual, but that could work.
    Can you post a picture?
  3. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

If it has inside threads, they should be a "standard" size so a screwed plug should seal it.
  4. lana87

lana87 New Member

I am using phone. I took a pic of this pipe but dont know how yo post it
  5. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

When you start to enter a reply, look down below and click on advanced then manage attachments.
  6. mikeplummer

mikeplummer Plumber

why not thread in a 1/2" male plug?

plug.jpg
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2013
  7. lana87

lana87 New Member

Cant find anything that says manage attachments not even in advanced
  8. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

You have to scroll down on the 'Reply to THread' page...believe me, it's there!