Please tell me what I really need for whole house water setup.

Users who are viewing this thread

lnemup

Reaction score
Ok so have an old rainsoft system in my house. Was having all kinds of problems with it trying to get it to work right. Got frustrated and had a rainsoft tech come to evaluate the sytem hoping for an easy fix. Needless to say didnt go so well. Told me sytem is obsolete and cant even get parts for it anymore. Something about parts were discountinued in the mid 90's. Anyhow suggested a purchase a whole new sytem from them at the tune of 6k. I told him if you cant fix one of your older sytems why in the heck would a purchase another from rainsoft. He did a test I didnt get results but do remember needed a softner and acid nutrilizer according to him. So have been doing a little research and someone suggested taking a sample to a pool place and see what really is need. Results are Free avilable chlorine 0, Total available chlorine 0, Calcium harness 180, Cyanuric acid 0, Total Alkalinity 120, PH 7.2, Copper .3, Iron 3.0, TDS 100, Phospates 100. So according to pool guy Copper/ Iron is high. Problems am having is orange/red showerheads, same color stain in toilets, and beleive it is meesing up my washer because keeps saying no water. A friend said metals are probably clogging screens in washer thinking it is not proper flow. My house has a total of 3 full baths and 2 halfs including apartment in basement that also has an additional washer and full kitchen. There are 6 people living in my home. Could someone please based on this info explain to me what I actually need? Also I have no odors caming from water at all. I am not interested in fixing current rainsoft. I want to purchase a new setup probably online from a rep company and have a plumber install. I am not sure if this is enough info, but am trying to get ball rolling, so please let me know if more info is needed. Also any reccomendation on where to purchase would be great. Thank so much in advance.

Mialynette2003

In the Trades
Reaction score
Your major problem is the iron. It is high. A water softener can remove that much iron but it is not recommended because of the wear and tear on the softener. So the next option is to have an iron filter followed be a water softener. Problem here is the iron filter media is heavy and requires the proper flow rate to backwash the media correctly to keep it clean. I recommend a chlorine injection system followed by a carbon filter. The chlorine will oxidize the iron so the carbon can remove it. Carbon is half the weight of iron filtering media. This system along with a 120 retention tank works great for high iron. It is more costly up front but is cheaper in the long run. You could go with a big softener with SST 60 resin and remove the iron, but over time the iron will take it's toll on the softener.

lnemup

Reaction score
I spoke with a water company yesterday, and went over my water results. This is there recommendation. Fleck 2510 Auto Backwash Birm Filter 2.0, and Fleck 5000 ProFloSXT Electronic Meter On Demand Control Valve Water Softener 48000 Grain Capacity. I am on the right track? Thanks so much for the responce.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks