Please save me for my mess(with pictures)

Users who are viewing this thread

f117b2

Reaction score
Hi experts,

I tried to replace a leaking shower spout. I purchased an universal spout from home depot and installed it. It still leaks. After google it on internet and found out spout should be slip-on type like this one:
Slip-on-spout.jpg

But the cooper pipe coming out from wall is damaged seriously when I removed the old spout. Below are the pictures:
Picture 1 - The cooper pipe
Pipe.jpg

Picture 2 - The enlarge detail for damage
Pipe_Detail.jpg

I am thinking to smooth it with emery cloth or sandpaper. Do you guys think it can fix the problem? Or I should tear down the wall to replace copper pipe?

What should I do?

Any helps or suggestions are appreciated!!!

E.D

Last edited:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Although the copper has been bunged up by the set screws, the area in black is about where the oring will typicall land, and looks ok. But the best spout to get would be one of the Deltas, which have an adapter you would solder onto your copper. That type is very easy to install, once you solder the adapter, and works very well.

f117b2

Reaction score
Where will the "O-Ring" seal land on that stubout?

Hi Redwood,

I don't know yet. The part I order is on the way to my house. I hope the O-ring doesn't reach the damaged part.

But it doesn't matter what, I still want to smooth the copper pipe. Could you please give me some suggestions what are the best ways to do it?

Thanks.

Last edited:

f117b2

Reaction score
Although the copper has been bunged up by the set screws, the area in black is about where the oring will typicall land, and looks ok. But the best spout to get would be one of the Deltas, which have an adapter you would solder onto your copper. That type is very easy to install, once you solder the adapter, and works very well.

Hi Jimbo,

The black part on the pipe is the old spout's O-ring. I don't have the new spout yet. I will let you know when I get it.
Could you please tell me the model # of the Delta spout? maybe a link?

Thank you.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I vote for the Delta RP17453 with the solder on adapter too.
It's the only one I use now.

delta-rp17453-terrylove-2.jpg

Attachments

• delta_tub_spout.jpg
    delta_tub_spout.jpg
    3.3 KB · Views: 1,326
Last edited:

f117b2

Reaction score
I vote for the Delta RP17453 with the solder on adapter too.
It's the only one I use now.

Thank you Terry.

But I need to have water coming out from the shower head. The picture shows above doesn't have a shower diverter.

Do you know any good one that has a diverter?

Thanks.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Customer Support results

No results found for search term 'RP17453'

Nice, it can't even find their own product

Your reference transposed some digits...use the link I provided or the original post (which is correct!).

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks