Please review my bathroom rough in plans, basement.

Users who are viewing this thread

mrgoodwrench

Reaction score
Hi, I've been lurking for awhile as I figure out how to layout by basement bathroom. I had a toilet and sink, on a 3" copper drain. I'm moving those, adding a bathtub, and a laundry room with washer and basin sink.

If any experts could review my plans that would be nice. I've attached a plan and profile view, somewhat to scale, but I'm really looking for your opinion on how I'm tying my vents to the drain lines, and how I'm tying my drain lines to the existing 3" drain line.

1. Should each fixture have it's own wye tying into the 3" drain? I currently have my tub joining a wye on my toilet branch.
2.Can I use a 45 deg elbow in the horizontal position on a drain line? Or do I need some sort of long sweep something or other?
3. Should I use wyes with 1/8 bends to tie in the vents, or combos?

Thanks! If you need help fixing a car, or designing bridges and large culverts for logging roads I can help....plumbing is new to me!

Attachments

• plumbing plan view.pdf
    145.8 KB · Views: 413
  • plumbing profile view.pdf
    168.3 KB · Views: 364

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The tub should be vented before it enters the toilet line.
45's are the same bend as long turn 90's. Venting below grade on the horizontal should be wye or combo fittings.
Venting on the vertical is with santees.

mrgoodwrench

Reaction score
The tub should be vented before it enters the toilet line.
45's are the same bend as long turn 90's. Venting below grade on the horizontal should be wye or combo fittings.
Venting on the vertical is with santees.

Thanks for taking a look Terry. I plan to vent the tub before it enters the toilet line, sounds like my plan for wyes and santees was correct. Thanks for the info on the bend of 45s and long turn 90s, sounds like the 45s should work.

I appreciate your site, I've learned a great deal simply from reading up here.

mrgoodwrench

Reaction score
I notice that you live very close to my brother Clare in Hoquiam. I'm glad you're finding the site useful. :)

Terry-
You are correct, my office is in Hoquiam, and I live just out of Aberdeen.

What do you all think of the venting I did on the tub and toilet here? I used wyes and rolled them up with 45 streets to go horizontal. This is just mocked up. The 3" running out toward the wall will be a cleanout.
My questions are:
1. Is my 'flat' venting okay?
2. Where should I tie the vents together, below grade, somewhat how it is mocked up, or further up in the wall cavity?
I'm a little concerned where I have these vents that I will have problems with space when I bring my supply lines down from the top. I could change the left/right on my wyes and run the toilet vent north with the cleanout line and up the north wall. The tub vent could go the opposite that it is and run up the wall to the left of the tub. Then I'd tie them together up high.

IMG_0967.JPG
IMG_0968.JPG

mrgoodwrench

Reaction score
It appears that your vents are tied together a lot lower than the 42" above the floor requirement.

HJ, you are correct. Thank you for pointing that out. 42" was in my head, but I couldn't remember why. I will tie them together above 42" from finished floor. I think I will also rotate my wyes 90 degrees and run each vent to a different wall that won't have supply lines. Isn't there a maximum distance you can run a vent horizontal? I'll keep the vents at 2% so they drain if need be.

Plumber01

In the Trades
Reaction score
Bathtub vent can be 1.5" and run 20' horizontally. 2" toilet vent can run 40' horizontally.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks