Please help with indentifying this fixture

Discussion in 'Shower & bathtub Forum & Blog' started by geogridshorthair, Apr 3, 2009.

1. geogridshorthair

geogridshorthair Geologist

I need to find parts (washers, seats, etc.) for this old fixture.

It is dripping and before I shut off the water main to disassemble I would like to know what brand I'm dealing with.

These might be original fixtures from 1939.

In addition, how do I remove the handles, I don't see a set-screw and they appear to be corroded on.

Any suggestions?

Steve

Attached Files:

2. Cookie

Cookie .

To me, it wouldn't be worth it. If it is corroded for one, secondly, to find what you need isn't worth it, I would buy new and be done with it.
  3. Cass

Cass Plumber

Look under the handles closely and there should be a set screw....they look like the ones in my bathroom when I was growing up...
  4. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

That looks like some old Price Pfisters I have worked on. But although the company is 100 years old, I belive that shower set would be post WWII. If yours is original from 1939, it might be Sayco. From this era, PP was largely a California company. Are you east of the Rockies?
  5. geogridshorthair

old fixtures

thanks to all who have replied.

I'm in San Jose, CA.

I will look more closely for a set-screw, thanks.

If I can find parts I will replace all the trim, but if you are suggesting that I remove tile to replace the valve body, that would be hard to do because the tile is so old that it would be hard to match.

regards,

steve
  6. SewerRatz

SewerRatz Illinois Licensed Plumber

Some homes have access on the wall behind the valve body. You would just remove allthe trim on the front. Then undo the pipes from behind and pull the valve body out. If I seen the stem I can tell you right off what kind of facuet that is. Other than that its to hard for me to tell from just seeing the handles and spout.
  7. geogridshorthair

response to seweratz

thanks seweratz,

Unfortunetly there is not an access panel behind the wall. The other side is a tiled coffin shower.

Once i'm sure i can get parts i will start the project. i'm sure there is no shut off valves on the valve body so i have to turn the water off at the main to do the work.

BTW, this is a great site because of people like you, jimbo, cass, and cookie; thanks for all of your responses.

steve
  8. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

Thanks for the ego boost. And as you are in California, I would put more money on that being PP. Sayco was not big out here at all, even now, and back in the day, PP had sales reps roaming the state calling on builders and plumbing contractors.

I am quite sure that the "business end" of your stems will be compatible with a currently available set of PP long shower stems, plus the Verve ( metal ) or Windsor ( clear acrylic ) handles. Any brand of tub spout ( threaded ). You will have some options for trim finish, like brushed nickel. You can most likely remove your seats from the hot and cold sides and get ceramic disc stems, which would open up some more trim options, like levers and venetian bronze. A good plumbing supplier ( not blue or orange ) could show you what's available.
  9. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

faucet

That handle fastening system was a typical American Standard design. You unscrew those retainer caps from under the handle. The handle comes off and there are screws inside holding the retainer to the stem.