Please help with faucet installation

Users who are viewing this thread

daveydo

Reaction score
Will some one please help me with a small problem.

I am about to install an American Standard faucet in a fiberglass whirlpool tub. The instructions with the faucet do not say what hole size to drill. The installation drawing shows only that the 3 threaded entries are 1-1/8" diameter. They measure exactly that to the major diameters of the threads. After measuring the parts and washers provided, I believe 1-1/4 " diameter holes are appropriate. is this correct? Is there a rule of thumb in respect to the size of drilled holes for faucets?
Also, the center distance is adjustable from 6-1/2" to 12". Is this common? If I use something other than 12" as my centers, will I have trouble getting something to fit if I later want to change faucets?

Finally, The supply entries on these faucets are 3/4-14 NPT and are suited to sweating as well. I had bought standard S.ST. briaded supply hoses. they don't fit. Is this stuff available in 3/4-14 NPT on the faucet end, or are there adaptors available? I'd rather not sweat something into the enrties.

Clayton

Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Deck mount faucet

Yes 1-1/4" holes should work fine for A.S.. Most deck mount tub faucets are manufactured so they can be installed with the handles and spout in many different configurations and or different distances between the handles, so you should be ok however far apart you choose to install them. I do not recommend the installation of s.s. flex supplies. If they are approved in your area and you are leaving an access door to get at them in the future, then I guess it would be an easy solution. They are available with just about any connection on either end and different diameter and length of hose between them. I imagine the easiest s.s. flex to find for this would be water heater connecters.

daveydo

Reaction score
Thanks,

I hadn't installed faucets in a tub in years. So, it was a surprise to me that the standard 12" center was no longer standard. But that's the fate of a lot of old standards due to modern design and manufacturing methods. Isn't it great, theree are so many more possibilities these days.
They are approved here, The reason I am using SS flex is to dampen vibration in the piping. Vibration is a common long term failure mode of many mechanical systems. As for access, although the skirting is tiled,I have made two of the three front panels completely removable.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
faucet

Where are you going to get vibration from? There may be millions of tubs like yours installed with rigid piping and have never failed from "vibration". The only unit I ever used flexes on was a recent one where everything was so closely spaced that there was no room for solder fittings.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks