US plumber frustrated by UK fixture Hudson Reed

Users who are viewing this thread

Andrew Uroskie

Reaction score
Thanks for looking at this. My wife liked this shower diverter from Hudson Reed - http://bit.ly/1gm3Nhj - didn't realize it was a UK company at first, since it was a US distributor, but it's caused a problem. First off, the thermostatic mixer/diverter didn't come with US adapters. Called the company, and they sent those from the UK. But the adapters just wind all the way into the unit - they're straight, not tighting, so there's nothing really to hold them tight. Even with teflon tape and threadlock, the joins start to drip after a few minutes. My plumber basically thinks this is just garbage and wants me to send it back and buy American. I'm about to do that, but before I do, I wanted to see if there was something easy he was missing. Is there supposed to be a gasket or something that works with UK pipes to make a proper seal? They can't possible expect lasting installation with non-clinching pipes and teflon tape?!?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Some of those fittings work like a garden hose - it requires a gasket to make the seal. Only a tapered pipe thread uses pipe dope or tape, all straight threads rely on some other method to create the seal...the threads just provide the leverage to create it. So, you need to find a suitable gasket/washer for the end of the fitting so it can seal things - no tape or pipe dope required.

Ontario Plumber

Plumber
Reaction score
In the UK, we measure our pipe in (mm). The equivilent of 1/2" is 15mm, and the equivilent of 3/4" is 22mm. You probably need a 15mm to 1/2" adaptor. There is a chance that they could have sent you the wrong adaptor, although I'm pretty sure you could find somewhere in the states when you could pick one up. I know I've been able to pick up these adaptors here in Canada.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
My plumber basically thinks this is just garbage and wants me to send it back and buy American.

Let me translate: "My plumber doesn't know how to install this, and isn't interested in learning, so he wants me to give him something he knows how to do."

For what it's worth, the ad for the thing says right on it that it has 1/2" (INCH) NPT inlets and outlets. (The British instructions say that the inlets and outlets are all tapped 3/4" BSP.) The reviews say that it "went right in, no problem", "easy install", etc, and this from US customers. So I'm thinking that it may be the person doing the installing as much as anything. Here are the Installation Instructions (in British): http://usa.hudsonreed.com/media/pdf_files/Twin_and_Triple_with_Diverter.pdf

They aren't detailed, but they also aren't complicated. One thing I have learned on this forum is that plumbers don't like to read instructions. Terry reads them, but many others don't. Maybe reading them would help get it installed correctly? Also, there is a phone number right there at the end. The Brits do speak an odd version of English, but it is indeed English, and it doesn't cost much to call over there, so that might be a prudent approach. Hey, we 'Merkins are having trouble installing this thing. Other 'Merkins seem to have been able to install it. I don't want to return it, so please help...

Let us know how it works out.

PS Depending on where you are in New York, I can recommend an excellent licensed plumbing company.

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Inlets and outlets are all tapped 3/4” BSP. Make all pipe work connections using a
proprietary thread sealer.
Do not use tapered threaded adaptors.

It sounds like Jim has it.
No threaded male adapters like we would normally do in the USA.
It sounds like they want something like a faucet connector in the wall. Not something we like doing.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; The Brits do speak an odd version of English, but it is indeed English

So do the "Indian" customer service representatives and you know how that goes when you make the call for help.

Reaction score
Well BSP comes in two varieties, straight and tapered threads. you can get a NPT to work for a thread or two, but the pitches are different. If you use an epoxy pipe dope you can get it to seal, not my preferred choice.

The better option is to get adapter from grainger or McMaster-Carr. They both have them and they are one a few buck a piece.

There is also a thread that will fit either BSP (straight or tappered) called uni-thread. but you still need an adapter to go to npt. BSP usually seals with face seal rubber gasket.

Paulypfunk

In the Trades
Reaction score
If it is brass could you get out your copper and torch and sweat your way to victory? I've done that a time or two when I could snugly insert 1/2 copper inside the threaded end.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks