Please HELP! Under shower handle there is a metal handle that will not come off!!

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by xxarmanxx, Nov 18, 2012.

1. xxarmanxx

xxarmanxx New Member

No brand visible. I removed the single screw and plastic handle cover only to find a metal cover which will not come off. How do I get the metal cover off? I tried everything I could think of. feel free to email me at xxarmanxx@aol.com

I turned it all the was to the left (fully open) and put some pressure ...nothing. Puller straight out...Nothing.

So frustrating.
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

With the thousands of valves produced over the years, no way without seeing what you have...post a picture of the valve and you have a chance of some useful help.
  3. xxarmanxx

xxarmanxx New Member

a.jpg IMG_1112.jpg IMG_1113.jpg IMG_1114.jpg
    Here are pictures. Under the plastic covers where these metal covers which turn just like the plastic ones and go in and out as you turn them.
  4. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

That is the handle adapter. Put the pin of a handle puller into the hole and hold the puller fingers under the edge. Soaking the whole thing in white vinegar for a while may help. It is just stuck
  5. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

The pin on a handle puller may not be long enough to let the adapter pull loose. Grab the top and bottom of the adapter with a large pair of Channelock pliers. The "jiggle" it up and down while pulling very hard. Do this for a few times, the grab the handle "sideways" and do the same thing to the left and right. Keep alternating between up and down, then left and right, and the adapter should come off it you are pulling hard enough. Tha looks like a typical American Standard faucet.