Please HELP! Under shower handle there is a metal handle that will not come off!!

Users who are viewing this thread

xxarmanxx

Reaction score
No brand visible. I removed the single screw and plastic handle cover only to find a metal cover which will not come off. How do I get the metal cover off? I tried everything I could think of. feel free to email me at xxarmanxx@aol.com

I turned it all the was to the left (fully open) and put some pressure ...nothing. Puller straight out...Nothing.

So frustrating.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
With the thousands of valves produced over the years, no way without seeing what you have...post a picture of the valve and you have a chance of some useful help.

xxarmanxx

Reaction score
a.jpgIMG_1112.jpgIMG_1113.jpgIMG_1114.jpg
With the thousands of valves produced over the years, no way without seeing what you have...post a picture of the valve and you have a chance of some useful help.

Here are pictures. Under the plastic covers where these metal covers which turn just like the plastic ones and go in and out as you turn them.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
That is the handle adapter. Put the pin of a handle puller into the hole and hold the puller fingers under the edge. Soaking the whole thing in white vinegar for a while may help. It is just stuck

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The pin on a handle puller may not be long enough to let the adapter pull loose. Grab the top and bottom of the adapter with a large pair of Channelock pliers. The "jiggle" it up and down while pulling very hard. Do this for a few times, the grab the handle "sideways" and do the same thing to the left and right. Keep alternating between up and down, then left and right, and the adapter should come off it you are pulling hard enough. Tha looks like a typical American Standard faucet.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks