Please help replacing my backflow preventer on my sprinkler system

Users who are viewing this thread

Mihomeowner

Reaction score
My backflow preventer/pressure vacuum breaker cracked because I didn't get it to last fall before a early hard freeze. Stupid home owner mistake...

Anyway, I'm trying to figure out to take one of these off and replace it, and I have seen some posts saying it's pretty easy... but I am not sure where to start. Do I need to take a hack saw to this thing to get it off? I see threads everywhere... but tried to take a wrench to them with no luck.

Some of the threads have teflon tape on them, I would assume these should unscrew.

Please help!! See attached pictures of my setup.

Attachments

• P5271618.jpg
    P5271618.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 2,732
  • P5271619.jpg
    P5271619.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 1,880
  • P5271620.jpg
    P5271620.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 1,771
  • P5271621.jpg
    P5271621.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 1,547
  • P5271622.jpg
    P5271622.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 1,563

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You will need to cut somewhere on that piping, and then couple and resolder.

The vacuum breaker looks to be threaded into a shutoff on the vertical. That should unthread. If you need to replace the shutoff below it, you will either have to cut more pipe or chip out the brick to allow it to spin off.

Mihomeowner

Reaction score
You will need to cut somewhere on that piping, and then couple and resolder.

The vacuum breaker looks to be threaded into a shutoff on the vertical. That should unthread. If you need to replace the shutoff below it, you will either have to cut more pipe or chip out the brick to allow it to spin off.

Thanks Terry. That is basically what I thought I was going to have to do. Cut one side, unscrew the other.

Is this copper or galvanized steel? Coming in to the PVB it looks cooper but the downstream the piping is more black. Is this just what happens to old copper pipes? Weird how one side is black.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Copper can turn pretty black.
You will need to sand that and flux it as you assemble the new fittings before soldering.
You could use a union on the outlet side. It may help for replacement in the future, though odds are the next new one will be sized a little differently.

Mihomeowner

Reaction score
Copper can turn pretty black.
You will need to sand that and flux it as you assemble the new fittings before soldering.
You could use a union on the outlet side. It may help for replacement in the future, though odds are the next new one will be sized a little differently.

The only problem with using a union is, would it make it easier for someone to steal the thing? Thefts of these are on the rise, although mostly from businesses where I imagine the PVB is bigger.

Anyway, if I don't do a union than a coupling would be the answer?

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
You will be replacing the valves as they a part of a new device.

John

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks