please help- pump only works if i close the valve to the tank

Users who are viewing this thread

purplepasta

Reaction score
i have a shallow well jet pump and lately it's been refusing to fill the tank. it runs at 30 psi and i have to close the valve to the tank to bring up the pressure. then if i slooowly open the valve just a bit, not all the way, it fills the tank to 50psi.
please confirm my fear that i need to put in a new motor.
also, in winter i occassionally turn off the water and drain the pipes. is there any way to not lose the prime?
thank you all for your replies, much appreciated.
dan

purplepasta

Reaction score
the pump is probably 10-15 years old but has only been used on weekends.
it feeds a 42 gallon galvanized tank about the same age. i've flushed it before when i had a similar problem...this tank then feeds a hot water tank.
when i turn off the water i do it at the cold tank. the valve from the pump to the tank is the one i have to fiddle with.
another question...if i need to prime the pump, is it ok to remove the pressure guage and fill it from there or must i fill it from the 1/4 inch hole on top of the gould pump that's just before the guage?
thanks for your input.
dan

Speedbump

Reaction score
one pipe or two pipe system. more info please like depth age of items etc

I asked the same question on my Forum, and you haven't answered it yet. We need to know the above and what kind of valve it is that you are fiddling with.

bob...

purplepasta

Reaction score
i think i have the solution!...after talking with a pump repairmen. he says it sounds like the galvanized tank is the problem. it's full of water. i drained it this summer but did not pump it with 28 psi of air. i just turned on the pump and was thrilled that i got water. perhaps the reason why it's worked until now is that lst weekend i drained the pipes. who knows. anyway, if that doesn't work this weekend i'll bring the pump in to be checked and then post what the solution was. thanks again for your input.
dan

Speedbump

Reaction score
If you have a galvanized tank and it's full of water, it's waterlogged and that is indeed a problem. But being full of water will only make the pump build the 50psi faster than before. You said it would only go to 30 psi. That is a different problem all together.

bob...

R

Rancher

I'm confused. (but you know I confuse easily)

i have a shallow well jet pump and lately it's been refusing to fill the tank.
First you have a pump that is refusing to fill the tank...
after talking with a pump repairmen. he says it sounds like the galvanized tank is the problem. it's full of water.
And now the pump won't pump up to pressure because the tank is full.

I don't think so.

Let us know what happens this weekend.

Rancher

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks