Please help me limit my trips to the hardware store for this faucet leak

Users who are viewing this thread

Dprocket

Reaction score
My wife has a good friend that lives a block over from our house. They are not in a great financial situation and we help them when we can. On Saturday, she asked my wife if we knew of a good/cheap plumber. I don't know of any good plumbers that are cheap. Fortunatately, I've been able to troubleshoot most issue myself.

She volunteered me to come take a look. I'm not a plumber, but I'm cheap.

IN question is a Delta Bathtub Faucet with separate Cold/Hot handles. When I arrived to inspect, the faucet has a steady stream of leaking water. More than a drip, more of a trickle. My initial thought is that this is not big deal and should be an easy fix.

I removed the handles to find valve stem extensions that were worn and broken (presumably from months/years of firmly twisting the handles to turn the water off).

My initial (uneducated thought) was that replacement of the stem will fix it. I turned the water off and took off to the hardware store to get replacements.

These stem extensions definitely needed to be replaced, because they were broken. I inspected the stem inself,and both sides (hot/cold) seemed to appear to be fine, and not in need of replacement. I was so confident that the stems being broken were the source, that I didn't consider replacing the Stem itself.

But after re-installing them, there is still a steady trickle. So, my next thought is that I should replace the Stem itself. OR...is it likely that the leak is coming from either the rubber washer inside the valve seat being worn out, or if the valve seat itself is worn. The valve seat appears to have a round hole in the center and is not removeable. It does look like it has indents on either side of it. I did not try to remove it.

Since this is a neighbor's house, with a bunch of kids...and I have a regular job with no time off...I'm trying to make sure I can fix this thing in one shot. I don't want to keep having them leave the water off while I run back and forth to the hardware store.

Do you think I can fix this with new stems?

Based on the visual picture, it looks like I need the Model #: STD1124 D Delta Plastic stem (Lowes link: http://www.lowes.com/pd_176327-72906-STD1124 D_1z0x13tZ1z13zyx__?productId=3167723&pl=1). Should I replace the rubber washer? Any ideas what type/size of rubber washer?

Any other thoughts?

Here is a link that shows pictures of the old broken stem, the value seat, and old valves.

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/qivjqbr77a333wn/AAC9T4p4zMmbOggjPrTEQP4Da

Reach4

Reaction score
Here is a link that shows pictures of the old broken stem, the value seat, and old valves.
It looks like you and your iPad/iPhone did not succeed in attaching the link to the photo.

If the friends are the original owner of the faucet, see http://www.deltafaucet.com/customersupport/warranty.html

Even without the receipt, you might call the phone number listed there.

Replacing the whole faucet may be easy and cheap enough.

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
Link works. That kind of think is a cartridge system rather than stem and seats.

Plus, even though you were very clear to begin with, I was somehow thinking of a kitchen sink. Ignore what I said except that it might be worthwhile to phone Delta.

Dprocket

Reaction score
Link works. That kind of think is a cartridge system rather than stem and seats.

Plus, even though you were very clear to begin with, I was somehow thinking of a kitchen sink. Ignore what I said except that it might be worthwhile to phone Delta.

It is stem and seats with a stem extension.
(Here is the extension that I purchased, thinking I had solved it). http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay...gId=10051&cmRelshp=req&rel=nofollow&cId=PDIO1

This extension sits right on top of the stem. In my pictures, the far left picture shows the old mangled extension. The pictures on the Right show the stem that sits inside the wall on the the seat. The seats are back into the wall and not easy to get at. I guess that's why an extension system.

Cwhyu2

Consultant
Reaction score
It is stem and seats with a stem extension.
(Here is the extension that I purchased, thinking I had solved it). http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay...gId=10051&cmRelshp=req&rel=nofollow&cId=PDIO1

This extension sits right on top of the stem. In my pictures, the far left picture shows the old mangled extension. The pictures on the Right show the stem that sits inside the wall on the the seat. The seats are back into the wall and not easy to get at. I guess that's why an extension system.
I have repaired 100s of Delta tub and shower faucet just replace every thing as stated above.

Dprocket

Reaction score
I have repaired 100s of Delta tub and shower faucet just replace every thing as stated above.

It doesn't appear to me that the seat is removable...or if it is, I don't have the tool. Also, I don't know where the spring is? Is that inside the seat (pictured, with a rubber o-ring in front of it?)?

Cwhyu2

Consultant
Reaction score
you might need this tool the seat,spring and stem are in the valve body.

Attachments

• sockets.jpg
    sockets.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 228

Cwhyu2

Consultant
Reaction score
It doesn't appear to me that the seat is removable...or if it is, I don't have the tool. Also, I don't know where the spring is? Is that inside the seat (pictured, with a rubber o-ring in front of it?)?
Google two handle Delta faucet repair I just did and their are vidios that show you how. I would have post links given step by step instructions but would take me to long to instruct you

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
The critical thing here is to get together on what we're going to call the parts. I would replace the washers and maybe the springs, scrape out the ten pounds of calcium deposits down in the barrel, and then maybe replace the part I call the cartridge. The broken extensions will have to be replaced, but they are not the cause of the dribbles. Cranking down on the handle breaks the extension parts because the user thinks it's a 1955 hose bibb instead of a plastic cartridge. Works totally different.

Dprocket

Reaction score
I replaced the spring and little rubber rings and all is well now. One of them was really bad and pretty much disintegrated. I went ahead and replaced the cartridges since I was in there but they looked fine.

Cwhyu2

Consultant
Reaction score
I replaced the spring and little rubber rings and all is well now. One of them was really bad and pretty much disintegrated. I went ahead and replaced the cartridges since I was in there but they looked fine.
Way cool glad it worked out for you and your friend☺

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks