Price Pfister, please help me identify this shower faucet

Users who are viewing this thread

techguy00

Reaction score
HI,

I need to replace the shower cartridge of this faucet.
It is very hard to open and close and if I don't use enough force to close, it leaks.
Could you help me identify it and maybe tell me where can I buy the cartridge?
I'm attaching 3 pictures.
There is no brand written anywhere.
Thanks.

DSC_0223s25.jpg
DSC_0227s25.jpg
DSC_0228s25.jpg

SHR

Reaction score
Looks like Price Pfister. They faintly etch their logo on the escutcheon plate so it could be covered by the hard water stains. Unscrew the center sleeve behind the handle and the escutcheon plate should come right off. Shut off the water, remove the screws holding the cartridge in place, pull out the cartridge and bring it to a plumbing supply store to visually match it up.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The plastic stem looks like a Pfister pressure balanced uni, with a handle adapter screwed to it. The handle looks like a Ashfield model R89-7Yxx. If both of these "assumptions" are correct, ( we would have to see a picture of the valve after you removed that trim plate to be certain), then you can call 1-800-PFAUCET and they will send you a new cartridge. Your old one will probably have a separate black balancing spool beneath the cartridge, but you throw it away because it is built in to the new one.

phister-974-042.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

techguy00

Reaction score
The plastic stem looks like a Pfister pressure balanced uni, with a handle adapter screwed to it. The handle looks like a Ashfield model R89-7Yxx. If both of these "assumptions" are correct, ( we would have to see a picture of the valve after you removed that trim plate to be certain), then you can call 1-800-PFAUCET and they will send you a new cartridge. Your old one will probably have a separate black balancing spool beneath the cartridge, but you throw it away because it is built in to the new one.

Thank you both for the information.
I will try to remove the cartridge during the weekend.
I was afraid of removing it and making the problem worse since I don't have the replacement unit in hand.
The handle sits quite high and it is a little bit wobbly.
I'm not sure if it is the original handle since it is so difficult to open and close.
Hope I can add more information here by next week.
Thanks.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Initially it is not necessary to remove the cartridge, just take a picture of how it secured. If it is held by 4 bolts and a square metal washer, then it is 99.999% sure to be Pfister, (NOT Price Pfister any longer).

techguy00

Reaction score
Initially it is not necessary to remove the cartridge, just take a picture of how it secured. If it is held by 4 bolts and a square metal washer, then it is 99.999% sure to be Pfister, (NOT Price Pfister any longer).

Ok, it will be a project for this weekend. Thanks.

SHR

Reaction score
The handle and stem with adaptor are Pfister Pasadena. Those faucets always have a slightly wobbly handle due to there being an extension on the plastic stem of the cartridge. It is all ok and is the way it is supposed to be. When you remove the cartridge go to the Pfister website and order a new one for free from Pfister. A lifetime warranty covers your faucet and the folks at Pfister have always swiftly sent me/my clients free replacement parts. You are fortunate as those cartridges are relatively easy to change. Good luck!

http://www.pfisterfaucets.com/support/index.aspx

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
FWIW, many shower faucets have an intermediary plastic piece in them. One reason is to prevent the handle from becoming exceedingly hot. Since a shower could be running for a long time and the cartridge will have full hot running into it before it is mixed, that excessive heat could make the handle quite hot over time. We don't see this as much with single handle controls, but it can still happen. I do remember one time with a utility sink (all metal, separate hot/cold spigots)...the hot got so hot it seized, and it was too hot to touch! Had to shut the main off, let it cool, then I could close it.

techguy00

Reaction score
The handle and stem with adaptor are Pfister Pasadena. Those faucets always have a slightly wobbly handle due to there being an extension on the plastic stem of the cartridge. It is all ok and is the way it is supposed to be. When you remove the cartridge go to the Pfister website and order a new one for free from Pfister. A lifetime warranty covers your faucet and the folks at Pfister have always swiftly sent me/my clients free replacement parts. You are fortunate as those cartridges are relatively easy to change. Good luck!

http://www.pfisterfaucets.com/support/index.aspx

It does look like Pasadena from here:
http://www.pfisterfaucets.com/Bath/Product/8P8-PDKK.aspx

Should I just order the replacement or do I still need to open it this weekend to confirm?
Thanks!

techguy00

Reaction score
DSC_1015s20.jpg
I just opened it to confirm.
It is held by 4 screws.
So it should be Pfister and I need to call them to order one under warranty.
At least now I know the model name to order.
I didn't see any model number in the cartridge.

As for the wobbly handle, this is the first model that I used that is wobbly.
I've used many shower faucets. They were all very firm and didn't get hot.
I think this one is just a bad design.

Is it possible to change to another model without having to change the valve body?
If I buy another Pfister faucet model, will I be able to use the new cartridge assembly and handle in place of this old one?
Asking in another way, is there another Pfister model that is compatible with this one from the valve body up?

Thanks for the help.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
You don't need a model number. Just tell them you need a pressure balanced shower cartridge. As I said previously, yours should have a black balance spool under it. If so pull it out and discard it because it will be built into the new piece. ALL the Pfister valves are interchangeable, so you just need the trim ring and handle for whichever one you like.

techguy00

Reaction score
Finally got it working

DSC_1151s20.jpg
DSC_1160s20.jpg

I finally got this working.

I received the cartridge. Pfister seems to use the same for all models since I didn't need to mention the model of mine.
The cartridge is made of plastic.
No wonder it doesn't last long.
Here's a picture of the old and new.
The old one must have something broken inside. I was not able to rotate it without the handle.

After I installed it, I noticed that the plate was loose. I had to improvise and put a black rubber ring so that it wouldn't spin.
You can see from the picture that the handle is quite far away from the wall.
I think I understand the problem.
When the whole thing was installed, the valve body was mounted too close to the wall.
If it were mounted 1/2 inch deeper inside the wall, the handle would be 1/2 inch shorter and the large plate wouldn't be able to spin.

One more skill that I learned.
Thank you all for the information you provided.

Last edited by a moderator:

techguy00

Reaction score
One more picture

The inscription reads: finished wall flush with this surface.
But this black plastic is a little bit higher than the wall surface.
Why the plate was not rotating before?
Could it be that when I pulled the cartridge out (it was stuck inside), the whole thing moved a little bit out?

DSC_1143s20.jpg

SHR

Reaction score
No. On your faucet escutcheon (the big round plate) the finished metal sleeve screws in to hold it in place. There is a translucent plastic ring that slides on the outside of the sleeve and presses against the escutcheon to hold it tight. Often that ring is misplaced during removal. Make sure you have the ring in place and the escutcheon should be tight and not move.

techguy00

Reaction score
No. On your faucet escutcheon (the big round plate) the finished metal sleeve screws in to hold it in place. There is a translucent plastic ring that slides on the outside of the sleeve and presses against the escutcheon to hold it tight. Often that ring is misplaced during removal. Make sure you have the ring in place and the escutcheon should be tight and not move.

You can see from the photo above that the translucent plastic ring is there, but it was not enough to press against the escutcheon. That's why I put an extra rubber ring.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks