Please help me identify kitchen sink issue

Users who are viewing this thread

mercenery1

Reaction score
I apologize if this wasnt placed in the correct forum but I didn't see anything else;

So about a month ago the strainer in my home's kitchen sink started to have problems. I had never fixed anything like this before nor did I do any plumbing at all but I enjoyed fixing this problem and it came out pretty well. Long story short the putty started to dissolve over time and caused the strainer to come out of place, making a bad leak. I managed to fix it last night but today I noticed how my kitchen sink faucet handle was not stopping at its normal stopping point when I wanted to turn the cold water off. As a result my sink was leaking from where the water comes out of. I turned off the cold water from under the sink and looked up a few guides online to check the faucet handle and it all resulted in me removing a screw that seemed to be chipped when i unscrewed it from the handle to see what was wrong with it. I could never remove the handle even with the chipped screw and I forced it and it broke somehow. All I'm trying to know is what exactly am I dealing with here in terms of repair and costs.

Last edited by a moderator:

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
You should be able to wiggle the white plastic stem and pull it up out of there with pliers. Once you take it out you should be able to figure out what type of faucet it is and get another stem if you need to and get replacement handles and screws. You could replace the entire faucet with a new one, at the worst it might cost $50-200 , if you do it yourself. Replacement parts should be less than $50 if you have to buy them. If you figure out what brand it is, some companies replace the parts for free if you call them.

mercenery1

Reaction score
The brand is Moen. When you say the little plastic stem, do you mean the very top white part with almost a square look? If I recall correctly that part spins but does not really come out...unless I really have to force it too.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks