Please help! Leaking thread on shower valve

Users who are viewing this thread

backwaterdogs

Reaction score
I have a kohler stacked thermostatic valve that was all roughed in and leak free and was about to start tiling over, but like an idiot, I decided I needed some shut off valves.

Nothing was leaking before this.

But, one thing lead to another and I basically ended up reinstalling the valve to get the shutoffs in.

Now, all is back and the two supplies seem fine, no visible leak under pressure.

However, on the outlet side to the shower head (when capped and under pressure), there is small leak thru the threads.

I have a threaded in male adapter and I used tfe paste on the threads. The one that I removed (that didn't leak) was in pretty tight and tried to get this one in as tight...I fear it was overtightened.

What are my options now? Could the valve body have been damaged? The threads look ok and aren't striped.

Thanks very much for any help or advice!!!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
leak

Anything is possible and we do not have enough information to tell you what happened. I am also somewhat puzzled about what kind of revision you made. Are the shutoff valves on the supply lines to the valve or on the riser to the shower head(s)? Neither one should have required reinstalling the shower valve.

backwaterdogs

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply!

The valves are on the supplies...the only reason I reinstalled everything was because on one side (cold side) the supply was cocked kind of bad and already had a two couplings.

My ignorance told me that the couplings would be the weak spots, so I just decided to replace...instead of just cutting the pipe and installing the valves.

Should have never touched the riser at all, but wanted to adjust the height up a few inches, so did that as well.

I'll go take a photo and edit this post.

btw, is there a way to tell if I had overtightend?

valve.jpg

thanks!

Last edited:

backwaterdogs

Reaction score
could this be it?

probably cant tell much from the photo, sorry.

I just recalled one thing I had to do on the riser...after getting tight (hopefully not overtight)...I had to back it out about a quarter turn.

Would backing it out a quarter turn and then tightening it back cause it to leak?

Cwhyu2

Consultant
Reaction score
Cut your copper riser to the length to your shower head height,then
solder on your male adapter to your riser,do this before you put the riser on the faucet,after it cools apply thread sealant to male adapter and tighten into
faucet,now once you get it tight,now you can solder on your lug ell in its
proper position.

Cwhyu2

Consultant
Reaction score
probably cant tell much from the photo, sorry.

I just recalled one thing I had to do on the riser...after getting tight (hopefully not overtight)...I had to back it out about a quarter turn.

Would backing it out a quarter turn and then tightening it back cause it to leak?

Yes it can,if follow my above post,you should be fine.

backwaterdogs

Reaction score
Thanks very much...that is what I will do!

you're right...this giant brass valve is one huge heat sink...can't solder anything connected to close very close at all.

Hope this fixes it, will let you very soon.

backwaterdogs

Reaction score
quick questions, is it acceptable to use BOTH teflon tape and tfe paste?

Or, is one preferred over the other?

thanks!

backwaterdogs

Reaction score
ok, I got everything back together and still have a small leak!!!:mad:

Any thoughts on what I should do now?

Do I need a new valve?

OR

If I can get the right combo of thread sealant would that be ok too (rector seal or other high end sealant)?

If I can get it to quit leaking for a day or two, is that good enough, or should I be concerned if it will develop later.

This is on the riser side of the valve, so normally wont hold pressure, but I capped the shower head off to test.

thanks again!

Cwhyu2

Consultant
Reaction score
Twist it off again add a little more tape.Rector seal #5 is what I always used.
But it is not cheap.leave it in there for a moment and send a pic of your work.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Yes, you can use both tape and pipe dope...sort of like suspenders and belt...either should work, but both are okay (except for the fashion statement!).

backwaterdogs

Reaction score
thanks, guys...I'll give the rector seal and tape a try and hope like hell it works.

thanks again for the feedback and info...I hope to find this at lowes tomorrow and will post a pic.

thanks!

backwaterdogs

Reaction score
Thanks again for all the help...I got everything back together tonight and it seems leak free...at least for now.

This is what I did: light coat of rectorseal tplus 2, then about 2 wraps of the pink teflon tape, then more of the rector seal.

Didn't tighten as quite as far as last time as there is still a thread or two still showing:

One last question...on the supply side, I only used pipe dope(Harveys, I think from true value)...not leaking now, but should there be concern?

If I leave this pressurized for a couple of days and dont have any leaks, is ok to drywall it up?...sorry, thats two questions!

thanks for all the help!

showervalvepic4.jpg

showervalvepic5.jpg

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
You just may be good to go...

When I do the belt and suspenders I put on the teflon tape then the dope...
not quite as messy that way...

backwaterdogs

Reaction score
thanks again, gents...I really appreciate all the help!

The riser is just capped off now, so I will cut that off and put the drop ear on.

Do you usually use a 1/2 female npt drop ear fitting?

that is what I had before.

thanks again!

Cwhyu2

Consultant
Reaction score
thanks again, gents...I really appreciate all the help!

The riser is just capped off now, so I will cut that off and put the drop ear on.

Do you usually use a 1/2 female npt drop ear fitting?

that is what I had before.

thanks again!

Your welcome .
we call them lug ells 1/2"copper x1/"2 IPS

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks