PLEASE HELP DOUBLE KITCHEN SINK CLOGGED

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
So our kitchen sink is clogged. I think it is from Coffee grounds. I have taken off all of the pipes I can figure out how to get off and they are not clogged. The area I think is clogged looks as though it has been glued together and there are no way to screw it off. I really need help on how to figure out how to pop those off to get the snack in there. Any suggestions?

Last edited by a moderator:

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
I couldn't get your link to work, but I would not take anything apart if I could snake through the drain. A drain auger and/or snake is the first tool that comes out of the truck.

Reaction score
The clog is PAST the white compresson nut and is somewhere on the right side of the picture. I have taken off the ptrap and it is all clear. I've tried snaking once I took off the trap but it did nothing.

forgiven.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
If the trap is off, you should be able to snake the entire length of the piping in the wall, right up until you run out of snake. If the entire snake is down the pipe, then you need to access the drain system further downstream or get a longer snake.

Reaction score
If the trap is off, you should be able to snake the entire length of the piping in the wall, right up until you run out of snake. If the entire snake is down the pipe, then you need to access the drain system further downstream or get a longer snake.
I'm thinking I'll need a longer snake. How would I access the drain system further downstream? Where abouts would I look for that? And should I just consider putting roto rooter in it all night tonight and letting it sit? Like I said, I'm pretty sure it is just coffee grounds

Reaction score
I just plunged it and when I was done, it drained but super super super slow. But at least it IS draining. Any thoughts?

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Would it be at all useful to check the roof vent or is that nor necessary?
The roof vent has nothing to do with a stoppage of water down the drain. When I enter a home, I try to visualize how and where the piping was installed when the construction took place. Sinks, tubs, and showers often tie together or drain into a larger drain in the immediate vicinity. The sink drain is commonly less than 15' in length before is a connection to a larger pipe. If you can get a 25' snake down the line, it is time to check to the other fixtures to see which ones are effected. Sometimes we have to go into a crawlspace to access the drain system from another place. Thankfully, there are not many homes built slab on grade in these parts.

Reaction score
The roof vent has nothing to do with a stoppage of water down the drain. When I enter a home, I try to visualize how and where the piping was installed when the construction took place. Sinks, tubs, and showers often tie together or drain into a larger drain in the immediate vicinity. The sink drain is commonly less than 15' in length before is a connection to a larger pipe. If you can get a 25' snake down the line, it is time to check to the other fixtures to see which ones are effected. Sometimes we have to go into a crawlspace to access the drain system from another place. Thankfully, there are not many homes built slab on grade in these parts.
Our snake is VERY short and is definitely not 25 feet. So your suggestion would be to use a 25 foot snake and see if that helps? I wish I could show you pictures of the piping. I'm not sure why they aren't showing up.

Everything else in the house is working very well, it is just the kitchen sink and like I said, now it is draining just super slow. Would it be pointless to let draino max gel sit in it over night?

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Our snake is VERY short and is definitely not 25 feet. So your suggestion would be to use a 25 foot snake and see if that helps? I wish I could show you pictures of the piping. I'm not sure why they aren't showing up.

Everything else in the house is working very well, it is just the kitchen sink and like I said, now it is draining just super slow. Would it be pointless to let draino max gel sit in it over night?

Draino does nothing for many things, including coffee grounds. It will burn you and could blind you or another worker if they have to snake the drain when it contains drain cleaner. My shortest drain auger is about 5 feet long. The auger is meant to spin around in the pipe and scour the inside of the pipe. If you are getting some flow, it will make the snaking easier as the debris must be washed down into the next section of piping, which will be progressively larger as it exits the home.

MKS

Reaction score
Is some form of household water pressure via a hose and or bladder an option?

Reaction score
Draino does nothing for many things, including coffee grounds. It will burn you and could blind you or another worker if they have to snake the drain when it contains drain cleaner. My shortest drain auger is about 5 feet long. The auger is meant to spin around in the pipe and scour the inside of the pipe. If you are getting some flow, it will make the snaking easier as the debris must be washed down into the next section of piping, which will be progressively larger as it exits the home.
Okay, maybe we can borrow a longer snake or have someone just come out and do it. I was really trying to avoid that because of the cost and money is so very tight, but it may end up saving us in the long run.

Flapper

Reaction score
I'm sorry I didn't understand your post.
One method of unclogging a drain is to use a drain bladder which looks like a... well look:
Screen Shot 2016-06-03 at 8.26.40 PM.png

It has a small hole at the end.
You attach it to the end of a garden hose, insert it down the drain, and turn the water on. It inflates to seal inside the pipe, and it forces water down the drain to break the clog.

We once (or twice) had a bad clog in the kitchen sink where we tried many different methods to unclog it without success... finally we tried the bladder and it solved it. A year or two later it clogged again and a quick use of the bladder solved it.

Reaction score
One method of unclogging a drain is to use a drain bladder which looks like a... well look:
View attachment 34534
It has a small hole at the end.
You attach it to the end of a garden hose, insert it down the drain, and turn the water on. It inflates to seal inside the pipe, and it forces water down the drain to break the clog.

We once (or twice) had a bad clog in the kitchen sink where we tried many different methods to unclog it without success... finally we tried the bladder and it solved it. A year or two later it clogged again and a quick use of the bladder solved it.
Where do you insert it at? Under the sink in the pipes past the traps I'm guessing?

Flapper

Reaction score
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks