Please help, attempting to install new bathroom sink drain

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by Chris Hunt, Jul 12, 2011.

1. Chris Hunt

Chris Hunt New Member

Hello,

I'm trying to replace by bathroom sink drain, because I picked up a new faucet that included one with a new pop-up stopper, the old one isn't working anymore. The new faucet is already installed. I have removed the trap under the sink, and I'm trying to remove the big nut for the drain under the sink, but the whole drain keeps twisting. Am I supposed to hold it somehow? I briefly tried taking a hacksaw to it, but it doesn't seem to be cutting through very well. Any help or insight appreciated. Thank you :)
  2. SacCity

SacCity In the Trades

Ya, to be honest I tend to use a hack saw blade wrapped in a towel to hold onto it.
    Takes a bit of time but better than buying a new sink for a client....

Sometimes it is the slow and steady that wins the race....

THere are fatster and better ways, but I do not what to buy a new sink for a client.
    And I have not finished outfitting my truck with all the toys. Many times a drimmel with a grinding bit would have been nice but hard to beat the 12 cent hack saw blade, and I can bill by the hour.....

For my projects I would be a bit more agressive.
    Michael
  3. johnjh2o1

johnjh2o1 Plumbing Contractor for 49 years

Try a dremel tool with a cut off wheel and split the nut.

John
  4. Chris Hunt

Chris Hunt New Member

Thanks for the responses. I don't have access to a dremel at the moment though. :( Would cutting above the nut with a hacksaw work? I've tried turning the nut with some success, but it's a terribly slow process. Did not want this to be an all-day job, but it's looking that way right now.
  5. johnjh2o1

johnjh2o1 Plumbing Contractor for 49 years

If you don't have a dremel then a hacksaw will work, but as you said it will be slow. Above the nut will work.

John
  6. Chris Hunt

Chris Hunt New Member

Ugh, never should have attempted this....looked easy enough at the time though. The sink is now cracked around the drain, inside and outside.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Should the sink just be replaced? If they're even possible, how would a repair be done?

What replacement sink would I be looking for? Thanks in advance
  7. cwhyu2

cwhyu2 Consultant

That is an A/S sink you might be better off replacing the vanity top.
    What size is the top, you can find them anywhere.
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2011
  8. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Either a 20x18 sink with a rim, like the one you have, or a 21x19 "drop in" which sets on top of the countertop, covering the hole, will work.
  9. Chris Hunt

Chris Hunt New Member

Thank you both for the responses.

Not sure on the size. What is a A/S sink?

Are there any economy options out there? Something on the inexpensive side that I can pick up from a big box store maybe? This place is a rental and I don't want to dump a ton of money into it.

Which one would be easier to install? The 21x19 drop in? I screwed this up, so I don't think I'll be doing the install myself anyway, but I figured it'd be good to know. Thanks so much
  10. bpetey

bpetey Member

A/S = American Standard. you can find cheap vanity with sink at the box stores but you get what you pay for. The drop in option is probably the easiest.
  11. cwhyu2

cwhyu2 Consultant

A/S american standard.
    You can get cultured marble top to fit your vanity.
    You just need to know the size of the vanity.
  12. Chris Hunt

Chris Hunt New Member

Thanks! How would I go about measuring the vanity?
  13. cwhyu2

cwhyu2 Consultant

Front to back,side to side.
    Use a tape measure.