Please dummy-check my first drain?

Users who are viewing this thread

DIYer101

Reaction score
If you have a moment to spare, I'm replacing the bathroom sink and wanted to know if I'm doing anything obviously wrong.

2 questions are:
1) It had metal before, but our water is hard here, and I woulda re-used the metal but the gasket was all dried up and who knows how old. The thick white thing (circled) screws onto a black threaded piece. I assume this just works on compression and it's hard to mess that up?
IMG_1891.JPG

2) Is it OK for the trap to turn wherever I want it? I turned it towards me (away from the wall) instead of following the straight red line. No idea if that matters...
IMG_1888.JPG

Thank you for any tips.

Reach4

Reaction score
OK on #2. However you need a vent somewhere near that red elipse. Is there a vent on that greenish pipe just beyond the edge of the photo? I am not a pro.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The vent has ALWAYS been needed, but without a larger photo, we cannot tell if you have one or not. The vent is needed because you DO HAVE A TRAPPED SINK.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
We cannot tell by your photo if the trap adapter is installed properly. The trap is meant to be able to pivot so that you can line it up with the drain.

DIYer101

Reaction score
Thanks all. The drain goes into a wall and I don't know if there's a vent in there or not. There's also a shower to the right, and the main sewer line leaving the house for the alley.

I know there's a vent about 20 feet upstream (a plumber just installed it, for a new drain he just added) but that might not matter.

cacher_chick I don't know the exact angle yet either - as long as pivoting is OK that's good news.

I'll see if I can figure anything out about the vent. Last time I looked behind that wall (before I patched it up) there were several black 2" pipes in there. Based on experience of the previous owner, I'm pretty sure nothing got installed in the last 10 years.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks