Please Critique My Wiring Diagram

Users who are viewing this thread

Eric3872

Reaction score
I am about to start rewiring the lighting in my kitchen. Right now I've got four lights on one circuit controlled by two separate single pole switches (two sets of two lights, each with a separate switch). Currently it's set up with 12/2 wire to the first fixture with the switches at the end of the run. What I'd like to do is add a third set of lights so the setup would be as follows:

Light Number one: One Fixture, One dimmer switch (easy enough)..

Light Number two: Two lights and a 3-way dimmer

Light Number three: Three lights and another 3-way dimmer.

I'd like to keep the power feed from the panel at the first light and distribute everything from there if possible. Otherwise, I'll have to tear out the whole ceiling. Please see the link below for the diagram. I would really appreciate any suggestions.

http://share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=0CbuXLlq4aNnHQ

Attachments

• 20130126_173203.jpg
    20130126_173203.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 697

JWelectric

Electrical Contractor/Instructor
Reaction score
Supply one of the three ways with the power for the circuit and install three conductor (black, white, red) between the two switches and two (black and white) to the light.

What you have drawn will not work and will only trip the breaker when you flip one of the switches.

The white conductor when used as a neutral or connect to the neutral is never connected to the switch. It is possible to use the white wire as a colored wired but it must be identified by tape, paint, sharpie or something so it is no longer white.

JWelectric

Reaction score
It took me a while to figure out how to make it large enough to see good but you are correct. My bad

Eric3872

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses. Any thoughts on how to simplify this? I've thought about running the power to the switch first rather than the fixture but that will involve longer runs and a lot more ceiling demo.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
It would "simplify" it immensely if there were some way to run some wires directly rather than using all those wire nuts which will "Fill up" the J-boxes quickly. Your drawing is somewhat vague, but you only want ONE dimmer switch on a circuit. If you use two, assuming they are NOT hi-tech versions operating a central dimming control, they will be cumulative and you will only be able to raise the brightness to the level of the one with the lowest setting.

Eric3872

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I've got two sets of these lutron 3 way dimmers. They are a master and slave configuration. I guess I assumed if each set was controlling a separate fixture, they wouldn't interfere with each other even if they were in the same circuit.

Kreemoweet

In the Trades
Reaction score
You'd best check the wiring diagrams for your dimmers carefully. Many 3-way dimmers require the presence of a neutral in at least one
of the switch locations, and your system doesn't seem to provide for that.

JWelectric

Reaction score
If it is going to be inspected and I hope that it is and you are under the 2011 cycle of the NEC it is required also. This is the reason for post three

Eric3872

Reaction score
I understand. I'm going to run the power through the power through the switches. I've decided to split this up into two circuits and will follow your advise from post three.

Eric3872

Reaction score
Right now there are two lights on the same circuit. They are controlled by two separate single pole switches. I want to put them both on three ways and be able to control them independently. It sounds like having more than one 3 way on a circuit is not a good idea so I will wire another circuit and re-route the power through the switches. Right now the lights are at the beginning of the run with the switches at the end. I was hoping to avoid having to rewire.

Eric3872

Reaction score
Ok... Here's my plan B. I've revised the diagram. I'll have to spend some more time demoing the ceiling but I've got an extra slot I can use, so I'm going to use two circuits. I'll run 2 wire cable to the switches and 3-wire between dimmers. The lights will be at the end of the run. I need to splice the first circuit for the two separate lights. Please have a look. Thanks.20130203_143458.jpg

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; I want to put them both on three ways and be able to control them independently. It sounds like having more than one 3 way on a circuit is not a good idea

IF they are NOW independent, then they will still be independent after you install the 3 way switches. You can put as many 3-way switches "on a circuit" as you want, you just can't have more that 2 controlling any given set of fixtures. In addition, it makes no difference whether the switches are at the beginning, middle, or end of the lighting "string", as long as the two switches have power and are connected together before sending the power to the lights. What you are "saying" and what you "mean" may be two different things, or you are not understanding the wiring circuitry the way you should.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks