Please critique my bath & laundry DWV layout

Users who are viewing this thread

SuperSewist

Reaction score
Bath & Laundry Remodel #3, and my first on two floors. Both prior jobs a resounding success thanks to advice and guidance found here. I should get pix of the tile job up - - but I digress.

#3. The bathroom is gutted, open, and ready for rebuild. Please see attached pic for reference. I would sure appreciate some feedback on this DWV layout.

The larger notch-out by the tub is from old cast iron stack & vent 4” all the way out the roof, so that's the side the roof boot is on. The smaller notch-out by the Lav was 2” galvanized. Reused the notches as best I could.

The laundry room downstairs is concrete walls with 2x2 firred on the window wall and an unfinished ceiling.

The kitchen upstairs is finished.

The gray area under the tub is a short but accessible crawlspace. Fortunately all new work can be completed from topside.

The pink-drawn fittings for the kitchen sink and the first cleanout wye at the stack base are all that remain of the old system.

The blue grid is 6” squares, roughly to scale.

Questions.
Tub: does putting the p-trap into a santee make it an s-trap? If so, what should I change?

Did I get the vent and trap arm for the laundry sink in the right place? I had some trouble visualizing how to put in a cleanout and a vent and a trap arm at the end of a horizontal line. Do I need the secondary sink vent?

What should I do with the 4” unused opening at the top of the stack? Just cap it off? It feels like I ought to build a vent into it or something, but then where to route it from there? It kinda deadends vertically at the bathroom floor.

The 2102 International Residential & Building Codes are the ones used here in Wyoming.

well ptthh. I keep getting "problem uploading file" for both a jpg and a pdf. Will post this, then add to it in a separate message to see if that makes a difference.

SuperSewist

Reaction score
no good, sorry. popup says "the following error occurred: There was a problem."
LOL but not so much. It's 117kb .jpg - is there a size limit?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
800 pixels and 200 KB

chalet_40.jpg

Last edited:

SuperSewist

Reaction score
Had an epiphany overnight. Now the laundry sink, the washer stand, and the tub all have trap arms into a vertical san-tee that has up-vent and down-waste to horizontal wye8th. Can I (should I) put an upside down 2" san-tee on top of the 4" stack to add venting to the stack, with the laundry vent attached to one side and continuing to the atmospheric vent on the other? There's no waste using this pipe but I didn't know if having the toilet at the top of the stack would create a new flood rim.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
The water closet vent is not drawn in such a way that I would believe your intentions to be correct.
Cut a 2" lavatory drain into the horizontal line off the water closet using a wye or combo. This will be a wet vent for the water closet.

The main for one bath only need be 3" line.

SuperSewist

Reaction score
Yes, thanks, I can visualize that and will go re-draw. For the bath main that only need be 3" - *could it be 4"? I've already got the stick of 4 and only need about 1/2 of it for the vertical, and will need most of the 3 for the laundry drain.

SuperSewist

Reaction score
I was quite pleased with my progress today until I got to the end of the line. No Joy, the trap arm for the laundry tray is 30" off the ground. I can't imagine any tray is ever gonna fit there. Tried rotating the wye, but then could not figure out the vent. Would sure appreciate some suggestions. PS not all fittings in the pic are glued in place yet.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Come off the end with the trap arm and use a wye combo for it's vent.
The end of line cleanout can be within five feet and can come out the side.
So cut back the 3" some.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks