Please comment on my DWV diagram

Users who are viewing this thread

mjsmith0

Reaction score
I adding a bathroom upstairs in my house (There is only sink there now). I've done some minor plumbing in the past, but this will be the biggest one by far for me.

I've pretty much figured out how I am going to run the drain and vent pipes, but I'm not exactly sure what fittings to use where. I made a 2D diagram that shows all the fittings. Does anything look out of whack?
http://picasaweb.google.com/mjsmith000/BathroomRemodel#5414568278962719298
Thanks a million!

Last edited:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
This is a pretty ambitious DIY project....toilet, separate tub and shower, 2 sinks and a washing machine! Most of us are certainly envious of the whatever you have create the drawing!

I see a couple of problems:
> the shower drain is an S-trap.
> the vent off the top of the 3" tee where the shower ties in...is a horizontal vent below the flood rim of the fixtures.

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
The heel outlet vent off the toilet is not code.
the shower has an s trap
the laundry needs to dump into a 3" pipe

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Dwv

Add in the sanitary tees in the horizontal drain, and a layout that I might make "massive" changes to if I were installing that system. Do the "double" floor joists mean you have a "step up" into the bathroom?

mjsmith0

Reaction score
You guys are are great. I updated my Powerpoint drawing based on your suggestions that I hope work.
http://picasaweb.google.com/mjsmith000/BathroomRemodel#5414787914171908306

I also included a more accurate detail of the shower drain design that shows the framing members.
http://picasaweb.google.com/mjsmith000/BathroomRemodel#5414784328437581410

Basically the second floor is supported by 2x12's with 2x6" on top, running perpendicular to the 2x12's with 3/4" plywood sandwiched in between. The 2D diagram doesn't show it, but the main drainage line runs between the 2x12's, with the fixture drains running laterally above them between the 2x6's.

Doherty Plumbing

Journeyman & Gas Fitter
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
You need to get rid of the san-T coming off the 2nd lav there.

You can't use a san-T on it's back like that. You can only use a san-T to go from horizontal to veritical, not vertical to horizontal :D

Other then that I just looked over it real quick but it looks pretty good.

I'm jealous of the drawing :p Looks pretty professional!

mjsmith0

Reaction score
Is this better?

If only I was as good a plumber as I am an artist! Thank you for the lesson on Sanitary Tee orientation. Is this better?

Attachments

• Picture2.jpg
    Picture2.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 3,604

Jar546

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
www.inspectpa.com
San Tee on its back in the first drawing for the 2nd sink. The other one is OK because it is for a vent. Oops, looks like you corrected aht

No reason for the laundry to be 3". It only needs to be 2" why was that information given?

How about a cleanout in that last connection to the horizontal building drain.

Jar546

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
www.inspectpa.com
Jar, IPC laundry has to drain into 3" now

I do not recall that as being a change from the BOCA plumbing, UPC or any of the I-Codes since 2000. Please direct me to where this was changed, I cannot find it.

I just checked the IPC and it still requires a 2" for the automatic clothes washer. They don't make laundry inserts with a 3" hole.

Jar546

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
www.inspectpa.com
TABLE 709.1
DRAINAGE FIXTURE UNITS FOR FIXTURES AND GROUPS
FIXTURE TYPE
DRAINAGE FIXTURE UNIT
VALUE AS LOAD FACTORS
MINIMUM SIZE OF TRAP
(inches)
Automatic clothes washers, residentialg 2 & 2

mjsmith0

Reaction score
This is just Powerpoint. I pasted the fittings from images on the web, and the pipes are just boxes with a gradient filling so they look like pipes. I did a pretty picture because it helps me visualize how things fit together better. It also makes it easier for me to explain things because I don't know all the proper terminology. ...plus it just looks cool!

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Jar 09 IPC - the trap arm and stand pipe still 2" but it must connect to either a 2" vert or horiz main.

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
This is just Powerpoint. I pasted the fittings from images on the web, and the pipes are just boxes with a gradient filling so they look like pipes. I did a pretty picture because it helps me visualize how things fit together better. It also makes it easier for me to explain things because I don't know all the proper terminology. ...plus it just looks cool!

You figure out how to make a software that the average plumber can build with that look and make it without any learning curve, you'll mint your own money with that idea.

mjsmith0

Reaction score
Thanks JAR for the tips. I think I got the vent pipe angles right, tilting them towards the drains at 1/4" per foot. I was surprised that 3" was suggested for the washer drain. I'll call the inspector's office to see what they say too.

I did consider a cleanout on the last connection like you suggested, but this is on the second floor and the cleanout would be 12' in the air at the side of the house. Is it common to do that?

Here is a question I've been wondering about. I designed the the stack vent (if that is what that thing is called) as 3". I wonder if I could get away with 2" instead? I also need to figure out how the whole testing thing works and probably have to add fittings for that too

The more I get into this, the more I appreciate the knowledge it takes to be a plumber!:D

Valpohawkeye

In the Trades
Reaction score
Jar 09 IPC - the trap arm and stand pipe still 2" but it must connect to either a 2" vert or horiz main.

Did you mean "either a 3" vert or horiz main?"

That's odd considering washers are actually discharging less water than they used to, with the high-efficiency trends catching on.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks