Please advise what system may be best....water softener

Users who are viewing this thread

pmauoo

Reaction score
Hello all...Looking for some advice from the pros here. I moved into my home about 10 years ago and had installed a sulfur system about 8 yrs ago. My present system is inconsistent since it seems to be getting constant sulfur bleed through.

I have been reading and researching along with being visitied by a few local water companies giving me their resolutions to my issues. Everyone seems to do something diffrent...

Existing System:
Avantapure system (Plastic cover w Avantapure label)
autotrol valve
Prylox bed
Chlorine backwashing nightly

Have not done an official water test at a lab yet

Here are the results of one of the local water companies

PH-7
Iron-1
Sulfur-4
TDS-220

Here are a few of their products:

SYSTEM#1- local water company-over 30 yrs exp professional
IronBreaker-3 airation tank w peroxide injection if needed
New tank- fleck valve-5 yr warranty
Catalytic carbon media
stenner pump if needed-2 yr warranty
checmical solution tank
inline sediment filter to make it easier to chlorinate house pipes
$1895 for ironbreaker , 800 for stenner pump , 99 sediment filter

SYSTEM#2-Local Water company - Water plant operaator w over 30 yrs exp
Rebed existing tank w catalytic carbon and transform system to chlorine retention system
stenner clorine injection pump
checmical solution tank
retention contact tank
sediment filter
cleaning of home pipes
$2400

SYSTEM#3-US WATER SYSTEMS-Internet based company
Fusion OXi-Gen Whole House Backwashing Filter For Iron And Sulfur Removal
New Tank-lifetime warranty
controller they designed to be half fleck/clack-7 yr warranty
catalytic carbon
stenner pump for peroxide injection- 2yr warranty
sediment filter
chemical solution tank
$1995 for 15 gpm system
$2 for delivery

Any professional advice and opinions would grealty be appreciated...

Thanks in advance

Read more: http://www.doityourself.com/forum/w...me-water-filtration-advice.html#ixzz3HInyv05u

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
I am leaning toward option number 2. I would not recommend #3, they have switched most of their business to a Chinese manufacturer who makes knockoff equipment...

LOL, half Fleck, half Clack??? Ummmmm, no.

pmauoo

Reaction score
Ok, so, thanks ditto head. I do believe I am getting some consistent responses to option 3, chlorination retention system. My dilemma with this solution is space. Is there anyway I can introduce H2O2 rather than chlorine. I am hearing that hydrogine peroxide requires no contact time hence no contact tank. Also another benefit is that there is no crystalization issues w H2O2. Is that correct?

Reach4

Reaction score
If your carbon tank is just there to remove chlorine, can you just use cheaper activated carbon rather than catalytic carbon?

My iron and sulfur system uses Centaur Carbon catalytic carbon. It gets regenerated with a backwash followed by bleach solution rinse and then a water rinse every 3 days. One tall tank plus a 15 gallon solution tank to which I add two bottles of bleach and top off with water every 5 weeks.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
H2o2 is fine, but I would recommend a chemical inline mixer if you don't use a retention tank. You can always add the retention tank later If needed.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks