Plastic vs. Cast Iron waste line?

Users who are viewing this thread

momotaro

Reaction score
Hi All -
Apologies if this has been addressed elsewhere here. I scanned the forums and did a bunch of searches, but couldn't find anything. (On the other hand, it's a pretty basic question so....)

I am replacing about 75' of exposed waste line that runs through my semi-subterranean garage. The existing line is galvanized, and I just had a plumber tell me "well you can replace it with plastic if you want to, but code requires cast iron...and that's the right way to do it".

Any thoughts? I'm not opposed to cast iron per se...and I definitely want to do it the right way... but I am opposed to spending extra money if I don't have to.

Thanks in advance!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Use of hubless CI is fairly easy if your snap cutter is sharp. You'd want to get a special torque wrench for the couplers to ensure they are properly installed and make sure you have adequate hangers to support it.

Some places do require CI, many more allow either that or plastic. CI should last eons, though if installed properly.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
In California plastic waste lines are okay in the garage. You're under the UPC code there. Galvanized waste lines haven't been used since the 60's.
What code is he talking about?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Another advantage of CI over plastic drainage pipes...the CI is much quieter. You can often hear the waste flowing in a plastic line...it's muted a lot in CI.

Cool Blue Harley

One Dumb Plumber
Reaction score
California allows the installation of ABS and PVC DWV piping in individual single-family dwelling units. Section 701.1(A). Ask your plumber to reference the code section he is referring to. When penetrating a fire rated wall, as you might in a garage for instance, crush collars are required.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks