plastic closet bolt caps won't snap on

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by davidr, Jul 15, 2012.

1. davidr

davidr New Member

First, thank you for this forum. It's guided me through all my plumbing challenges while remodeling my kitchen three years ago, and now my bathroom which I'm close to finishing. I've never had to post anything, because every plumbing question I had showed up in some thread somewhere. Until now...

A very minor problem, one I feel silly posting, but I couldn't find it in the search. (It's got to be there somewhere....) I've just installed a Sterling/Kohler toilet, and those two round, plastic bolt caps near the floor won't pop on. The bolt seems to be cut close enough. Should I use silicone or plumbers putty or some kind of adhesive? Or am I doing something wrong?

or maybe I should have bought a Toto Drake....

Thanks,
    David
  2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Caps come with flat plastic keepers that go below the metal washer and nut.
    It may be that the plastic keeper is reversed. They have an open lip that should be at the bottom, that the ridge of the cap snaps over.
  3. davidr

davidr New Member

Yep, you're right. Feeling very silly now, the keeper was upside down. It even said "this side up"....Like my wife said, it's time for reading classes.

Thanks, Terry. Again, great forum.