Plastic ball valve leaking

Users who are viewing this thread

sinister99

Reaction score
A plumber installed this valve a few years ago as an isolation valve for my water service. I've cycled it a number of times recently, and it has developed a slow drip from a weep hole on the valve body. I'm guessing this means water is leaking around the ball. I've cycled the valve a few more times and tried it in throttled positions to try to flush the seat, but there was no change.

Is there any fix for this slow leak? If not, what type of valve is this so I can replace it?

Also, shouldn't there be a grounding jumper around the plastic valve since the rest of my system is copper?

20210224_181956.jpg

Attachments

• 20210224_181937.jpg
    20210224_181937.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 176
  • 20210224_182018.jpg
    20210224_182018.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 181

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I’m not a big fan of all-plastic valves in critical locations. Personally, I’d tear it out and replaces with a brass ball valve.

It looks like it is connected with either compression or threads, can’t tell for sure, but you’d need to know which before trying to replace it. I don’t think that there’s much you can fix in the thing unless it’s a threaded connection that needs to be tightened.

sinister99

Reaction score
Yeah, this was years ago before I knew anything about plumbing. The plumber also installed sharkbite fittings inside a wall in another location instead of sweating copper (even these leaked and I had to call him back). Now I would have called him out, but I didn't know better then.

It is definitely not leaking from the threaded connections. It is leaking past the ball through a telltale weep hole, so I think the valve needs to be replaced. There was no spring in the 3/4" copper pipe when he put it in.

PlumbNuts

SC Licensed Plumbing Contractor
Reaction score
Website
riverviewplumbingrepair.com
I’m not a big fan of all-plastic valves in critical locations. Personally, I’d tear it out and replaces with a brass ball valve.

It looks like it is connected with either compression or threads, can’t tell for sure, but you’d need to know which before trying to replace it. I don’t think that there’s much you can fix in the thing unless it’s a threaded connection that needs to be tightened.

I ditto what he said...
Replace it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks