Plan: Replace Delta Cartridge, Outcome: FAIL

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by SBivona, Apr 28, 2014.

1. SBivona

SBivona New Member

Good evening everyone,

I'll take any help I can get on how to address the current situation I am in. My plan was to install a $30 dollar Delta valve cartridge. Everything was going fine until I got to the bonnet. It did not want to come off easily and I decided to go with brute force and use a huge plumbers wrench. Unfortunately, when I finally felt something twist, it was not the bonnet but the three valves coming from the diverter. Please see pictures of the terror at this point.

As I understand it there are a few options: 1) Go in from the back wall which is the exterior of the home. 2) Relocate the diverter up or down - but what will this require?

Does anyone have any other thoughts? Would this be a good time to replace the whole shower? Also, what is a quick method to cap it so I can get the water back on.

Thanks in advance for any input and support; it has been a rough night.

'Tino

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 29, 2014
  2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Actually, you need to do what many plumbers in this area do when this happens to them. Call me. I have repaired that problem many times but it is not for the faint of heart, which is why most plumbers give up on it. Yours is a relatively "easy" one because the three tubes were straight. The hard ones have bent tubes, and they are difficult to replicate. Actually, there is NO way to "cap it off" so you can turn the water on.
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2014
  3. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

[​IMG]

You can also pick up a remodel plate, go in there and replace the valve.
    They make those for Delta and Moen.
    The valve above is a Moen Posi-Temp.
  4. SBivona

SBivona New Member

Thank you for the feedback. The exterior of my home is vinyl - the current plan is to remove it, cut out behind the valve, remove/replace, and reinstall exterior. Any feedback on items to watch out for?