placing a subwoofer

Users who are viewing this thread

Master Brian

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Slowly working on turning my basement into a game/media room.

I have a 16" vega self powered sub cabinet. It's a great compliment to my surround system, but I'm trying to figure out what to do with it.

Personally, I don't think it's horrid looking as it's in a dark walnut cabinet, but my wife doesn't love it.

I can leave it alone and just create a place to plug it in, that's the easiest solution. Another thought is my utility room will be right behind where my TV is going to hang, I thought about placing it in there, maybe make a sealed box for it in that room, cut a hole in the wall to the TV room and install a piece of accustical fabric over the opening, so it is "hidden" from view. I am planning on placing everything but gaming systems and dvd player in the utility room with a remote eye into the TV room. Another thought is possibly rebuilding an enclosure into a Bookcase/Cabinet wall I plan to build.

Thoughts???

I really like the idea of hiding all of the speakers, so if anyone has suggestion for that, that would be great. The lower 36"-48" will be white painted beadboard, the upper rest will likely be wallpaper and the ceiling will likely be ceiling paper.

Stevenc

Reaction score
Subwoofer and Speaker placement --

Your sub-woofer can go anywhere you like, unlike the higher frequencies from tweeters your ears cannot discern where the sound of the sub-woofer is coming from. I would make the recommendation that it is not up against anything, since it will rattle items during a action movie.

Crutchfield.com has a decent tutorial on speaker placement --
http://www.crutchfield.com/Learn/video/speakerplacement.html
and
http://www.crutchfield.com/learn/learningcenter/home/speaker_placement.html

Even if you have difficulties placing the speakers, new home theater receivers come with microphones and testings sequences that will test the acoustics of room and adjust each speaker accordingly. You would plug in the microphone, place it where you typically sit to watch the movie, run the test, and the receiver does the rest.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks