Placement of sink vent/drain

Users who are viewing this thread

Damon Jones

Reaction score
I am remodeling a bathroom. The sink always had standing water in it because the wall drain is 25" center off of the floor. What is the standard height it needs to be?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drain

The ONLY way that could cause the sink to have standing water is if the sink is lower than 25" above the floor, and unless you are a "little people", your sink is not that low.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drain

There is no "standard" for the drain height. 15-18 inches is where I install it, but the actual maximum height ALWAYS depends on the individual sink, and how high it is mounted/set.

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
Remodel it as you wish it to be, as long as you ensure the bottom of your new sink gets raised higher than that horizontal line that leaves standing water in your sink today.Doing so, you leave that horizontal pipe as it is today, and it will be fine.

This horizontal pipe coming out of the P trap has to be left as is --- Or else you have a lot more work to do, inside the wall where that pipe connects to the drain. But you won't need to do that, if you raise your sink bottom. As hj already said, there is no need to ask what is standard. It's OK being higher off the floor than the average. Just raise your sink + counter while remodeling.

p.s. that horizontal pipe is sloped slightly.

p.p.s. I think in this statement below you are saying that the sink drain TAILPIECE has water in it all the time.
The bottom of the sink is at 25" so there is standing water in the ...
Do a search to see some images (keywords "tailpiece, drain") and see if you can confirm if this is right.

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
In Canada we have the lavatory drains roughed-in at a standard 19" from finished floor to centre of the outlet., unless you have a custom made cabinet .

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks