Pitless Adapter Question

Users who are viewing this thread

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Quality time = cold beer after the "quality time" is done! Thanks for the "well" wishes, and there will be pictures ! I have a F550 rollback to move various automotive projects, so transport of the machine is not a problem. By the way, Cacher, I couldn't agree more with the "test, don't guess" phrase. I am continually getting frustrated with automotive "techs" who don't know how to troubleshoot.

Unfortunately, a lot of people in and outside of the trades do not understand that people should be paid for their knowledge, skill, and ability to properly diagnose a problem before any consideration is given as to what parts need to be replaced.
Until the industry as a whole changes the way they do business, there will be plenty of reason for much of the public to continue with their poor opinion of the trades as a whole.

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
Unfortunately, a lot of people in and outside of the trades do not understand that people should be paid for their knowledge, skill, and ability to properly diagnose a problem before any consideration is given as to what parts need to be replaced.
Until the industry as a whole changes the way they do business, there will be plenty of reason for much of the public to continue with their poor opinion of the trades as a whole.

Unfortunately there are too many in the trades that have a "change parts until it works" mentality. That sets us all back.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com

Boy is that right! I had one yesterday, an engineer as a matter of fact. I spent 2 hours explaining how his pump system works and what product he needs to solve the problem. As soon as I gave him a model number he googled it and said, why should I pay you 20 dollars more than I can get it from XXX.com? I said you shouldn't. I usually charge 300 bucks and hour for the kind of advice I just gave you for free, and if you can save another 20 bucks on the product you are making out like a bandit. There is no reason to pay and extra 20 bucks for unlimited technical advice when you can just stick it to the guy who helped you for hours, right?

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
Boy is that right! I had one yesterday, an engineer as a matter of fact. I spent 2 hours explaining how his pump system works and what product he needs to solve the problem. As soon as I gave him a model number he googled it and said, why should I pay you 20 dollars more than I can get it from XXX.com? I said you shouldn't. I usually charge 300 bucks and hour for the kind of advice I just gave you for free, and if you can save another 20 bucks on the product you are making out like a bandit. There is no reason to pay and extra 20 bucks for unlimited technical advice when you can just stick it to the guy who helped you for hours, right?

Seems like the more you help, the more they shop for someone who will tell them what they want to hear and do a job for what they think the price should be rather than what it should really cost.

Boycedrilling

In the Trades
Reaction score
Valveman, how much would have that engineer charged you, if you had called him for advice? I bet it wouldn't have been free.

MrStoogewrench

Reaction score
I finally have a chance to update. We were successful last weekend despite unrelated problems on Saturday, which put us in a time crunch, so I didn't get any pictures. We dug the hole late on Saturday with the intentions of exposing the pitless, and doing the replacement on Sunday. The pitless was 5 feet down from the top of the well casing, but the poly to the house was sloped upward about a foot 2 feet away from the casing, and I hooked it a little with the excavator bucket. This caused the barb adapter to the pitless to break off, so we really weren't able to see if it had been cracked causing our leak, although the ease with which it broke makes an existing crack likely. Looking at the broken ends it looked like there was a crack in the barb adapter right where it was threaded into the pitless. Unfortunately, this accident meant they had no water Saturday night. Sunday went well, I capped the line to the house and it pressure tested good. We replaced the pitless and everything tested good, so the problem is solved.

Thanks to all for your insights and help !!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks