Pitcher pump handle tight

Users who are viewing this thread

William03

Reaction score
My wife is a theater teacher and is doing a play involving a pitcher pump style well. The well is mounted onto a simple wooden frame with a garden hose tube dropped into a bucket of water to pull from. The problem is that the 8th grade girl trying to pump it is having trouble pumping for the scene. Is there any way of loosening the insides of the well to make it looser for the girl while still retaining the ability to pull water?

This is the pump: http://www.homedepot.com/p/AquaPro-...gclid=CMu90IjE5dACFYERgQod9sYNfA&gclsrc=aw.ds

Reach4

Reaction score
Looking at http://www.aquapropumpsus.com/manuals/manual-accessories-pitcher-pump.pdf it looks like you need a foot valve (one way valve) under water.

Is there any squeaking or other noise? If squeaking, some oil would probably help.

Is the resistance more when you go slow, or is the resistance more of a problem during fast action? If fast, I would look to use a larger hose or pipe rather than a small diameter hose.

Otherwise, I am suspecting the leathers inside will get broken in if you work the pump a lot to break it in.

I was thinking of suggesting some olive oil in the water to , but that might be a bad idea.

William03

Reaction score
I didn't notice any squeaking when I tried it but then I wasn't there when she tried it. I'm assuming they were trying to pump pretty fast as the scene involved has a lot of emotion and is hurried. The play is The Miracle Worker and it's the part where Keller finally realizes what water is. Why would olive oil be a bad idea? How long would it take for the leathers take to break in? That's what I initially suggested to my wife but she wanted something a little quicker. It is a brand new well. Thanks for the quick reply.

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
I think the olive oil would help by lubricating. I was afraid it would make the seal seal better, and that could make the pump more effective. More effective might take more force.

On the other hand, the real pump would have been harder. So if there is some struggle, it might be more realistic.

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
If the leather cups aren't tight, it won't pump.

Struggling to pump would be more convincing

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks