Pipes Hammer when pump cuts out

Users who are viewing this thread

jodan

Reaction score
jodan

I did the back down test. Pump cut out at 60, 61#'s. House off it dropped 2#'s in about the 10 min. I let it set for 30, and still was at 2#'s loss. I did watch the points and they did not move at all once they cut out. Looks like two options left. Dump some cash on a pump pull and hope it works or dig through the frost for a CSV install. Neither going to happen today.

V

vaplumber

Im still curious about the pipes and pump twisting down the well causing your noise. I have never heard of this, but would like to see if it could be true. Have you had a chance to un cap the well and observe this phenomenon yet? Well man Ive spoken to says if this is the cause of your noise, it's no relation to hammer at all, simply torque moving the components resulting in water slosh, and will cause no harm what so ever.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
If there is no air in the pipe, water can't slosh around. I have heard the noise made from the pipe or wire slapping against each other or the casing. This sounds much different than water hammer and usually happens on pump start up not shut down. The check valve is holding but, it is dragging. Probably worn out enough to be sticking in the wide open position. After the pump shuts off, the flow must reverse for a second before there is sufficient force to close the check valve, which causes the water hammer "thunk". If this is the case the only thing that will fix the problem is replacing the check with one that does not stick. Even the CSV won't help if the spring in the check is broken and the valve sticks wide open. The CSV would have kept this problem from happening in the first place as check valves are just one of many items in a pump system that is destroyed from cycling on and off repeatedly. I don't see how anyone can read a few lines from this forum and decide that you don't have a problem at all. So I guess you are being told that the problem must all be in your head. So I would certainly listen to this person when they tell you not to use a CSV. The CSV is one thing that might fix the problem without having to pull the pump. The CSV is the only thing that would have kept this from happening in the first place and will keep it from happening again. If you install the CSV in the well, you won't have to do any digging. You will however, need to pull the pump up far enough to install the CSV just under the pitless adapter. You would need to use a CSC1 coupling to make the CSV strong enough to hold the weight of the pump. Replacing the down hole check valve and installing the CSV would stop the water hammer and keep it from happening again.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks