Pipes Banging

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by Darcy, Feb 6, 2007.

1. Darcy

Darcy New Member

I have 2 problems. When the kids run off the water quickly (single push/pull lever) the pipes make a thuding/loud Banging sound. Also when 1 person is in the shower, and someone else runs the water, the pipes in the shower bang violently. I have 2 showers doing this, and they are both about 16 years old. Could the shower issues be the valve's?
  2. markts30

markts30 Commercial Plumber

What type of piping is the water supply in the house?
    Sounds like unsecured lines...
  3. kd

kd New Member

Install water hammer units see water hammer post.
  4. chassis

chassis Engineer

Pipes also could be loose. I had this problem in a shower, and in the demolition/remodelling process I found that the pipes were not secured to any wood framing and were very very loose. The new piping I installed was secured to framing members and is now firmly attached.
  5. Darcy

Darcy New Member

cooper pipes

If it is in fact unsecured pipes. Is there anything I can do without tearing holes in the walls to secure them?
  6. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

NO...if the pipes are flopping around, you need to secure them.