Pipes above or below insulation with unusual insulated slab on grade

Users who are viewing this thread

rural_engineer

In the Trades
Reaction score
My house is going to have a somewhat unusual slab on grade arrangement. The slab has turn down footings and is frost protected, so the footing concrete extends only 12" below grade. Underneath the entire house, just below the footings, is 5" of structural EPS foam. Its strength is such that it's expected to compress less than 1% under weight of the house at the footings. Between the foam and the slab is nominally 15.5" of compacted crushed stone or other structural fill.

I'm wondering whether I can run my waste pipes through the fill above the insulation, and then drop down below the insulation when I need to pass under the footings? Other than a length limitation from the available height, are there any concerns from putting the pipes in this space?

All work will be done by a plumber. I'm just getting everything figured out in advance for quoting and planning. The house will be on an in-ground septic system near Rochester, NY.

Cheers,

John

Attachments

• Footing.jpg
    Footing.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 453

Patrick McAllister

Reaction score
John, I have the same problem. I'm using "Modified slab on Grade" with a frost protected foundation. Also called a "Hunched Foundation". I could use some help. We could put the water pipes in a sleeve, or bury them below the footer.

Attachments

• Nudura FPFhaunched.jpg
    Nudura FPFhaunched.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 311
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks