PIpe used for hooking up pressure tank to well pump?

Users who are viewing this thread

sgl

Reaction score
I'm replacing a pressure tank. I have a 3/4HP pump that's down about 100', and the water line is at around 60'.

My current tank has the back poly coming into the house, and then another small section of black poly (I hope that's the right term, it's rated at 160psi i think). connecting it to the tank.

When I replace the old tank, I was thinking of using schedule 40 pvc to go from the tank to the incoming black poly line (the tank will have a metal tee). I think, but am not certain, that the pvc psi rating is sufficient for this application, but I wanted to make sure. Maybe schedule 40 pvc isn't the right material for the job. I could use schedule 80 pvc, which is considerably more expensive, or even more black poly, but I feel more comfortable working with pvc.

Cost isn't the concern, it's simply using the right material for the job. Am i off base?

sgl

Reach4

Reaction score
Consider 1 inch CPVC. CPVC is smaller than PVC for a given nominal size.

sgl

Reaction score
PVC inside the house is against code in most jurisdictions.

ok, so is my only option, if i adhere to code, to use the back poly? schedule 80 pvc is also a no go?

I am not sure i understand the 'why' of it being against code, unless it's just psi rating. in that case, schedule 80 would be ok, or still against code?

sgl

Reaction score
Consider 1 inch CPVC. CPVC is smaller than PVC for a given nominal size.

if i use cpvc, my question would still remain, regarding the psi rating. can it handle the pressure?

i guess the bottom line question is, what should I really use? i can use anything, i just want to make sure i use the 'correct' thing.

sgl

Reaction score
http://www.harrisonplastic.com/cpvcschedule40-80specs.html has pressure ratings for CPVC.

PVC gets brittle with hot water over time. I suspect they just banned new PVC inside for pressure use for simplicity in code writing and inspection.

You have alternatives probably. Copper or PEX could do the job.

thanks for the information. i had actually looked at that chart. it seems to indicate that i could use PVC, too.

so, if codes say no, there must be a reason. warm water is never going to come through it, so that's not the issue.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I use sch 40 PVC all the time out in the well house. But it is against code for use in the house in most places. It is not a pressure or brittle problem with PVC, it is against code because PVC will burn. And when it burns it puts off toxic gases. But if my house was on fire I don't think toxic gas from a couple of feet of PVC pipe would be much of a concern to me.

sgl

Reaction score
I use sch 40 PVC all the time out in the well house. But it is against code for use in the house in most places. It is not a pressure or brittle problem with PVC, it is against code because PVC will burn. And when it burns it puts off toxic gases. But if my house was on fire I don't think toxic gas from a couple of feet of PVC pipe would be much of a concern to me.

ah, that makes more sense. yet i would imagine that the black poly pipe that's there now would burn, too. and all of the cpvc coming out of the other end of the tee at the tank :)

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Those probably just melt or at least don't gas off anything toxic like chlorine gas.

You do realize the bladder in your tank is probably busted from the pump cycling on and off so much don't you? You can solve that problem, which will also make your pump last longer as well by using a Cycle Stop Valve. With a CSV you only need a little 4.5 gallon size tank like this.

Last edited by a moderator:

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
Use poly, cheaper, easier and accepted by local inspectors. Plus, it's flexible just in case someone steps on it.

sgl

Reaction score
Those probably just melt or at least don't gas off anything toxic like chlorine gas.

You do realize the bladder in your tank is probably busted from the pump cycling on and off so much don't you? You can solve that problem, which will also make your pump last longer as well by using a Cycle Stop Valve. With a CSV you only need a little 4.5 gallon size tank like this.

my bladder is not busted. it's 30 years old, and i am taking preemptive measures to replace the tank on my terms, instead of in an emergency situation.

i have considered the csv. for a long time, actually. i didn't go into purchasing a tank lightly. i just couldn't convince myself that a csv was right for my application.

Last edited by a moderator:

sgl

Reaction score
Use poly, cheaper, easier and accepted by local inspectors. Plus, it's flexible just in case someone steps on it.

i could. i mean, we're talking about <= 3' of material, poly, pvc, etc. and you're right, it shouldn't be hard to work with. do you heat it to insert the barbed fittings?

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
You have to heat it to get the insert fittings in, plus making the pipe pliable allows the clamps to get the pipe to seal around the fitting.

We use a propane torch to warm the pipe, but Ive heard others say they use a hair dryer, heat gun some even put the pipe in hot water.

Btw a tank with a 30 yr old bladder or diaphram is living on borrowed time.

sgl

Reaction score
You have to heat it to get the insert fittings in, plus making the pipe pliable allows the clamps to get the pipe to seal around the fitting.

We use a propane torch to warm the pipe, but Ive heard others say they use a hair dryer, heat gun some even put the pipe in hot water.

ok, thanks. i figured you'd have to heat it, but since i've never worked with it, i wanted to ask.

As for my tank being on borrowed time, i agree 100%, and that's why i am doing all of this. it isn't because i want to spend money on it :) the tank/tee/fittings arrive today. so it's on my to do list during the holiday break.

sgl

Reaction score

do you use any type of sealant when you insert the barbed fitting, or is just heating/clamps enough?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
my bladder is not busted. it's 30 years old, and i am taking preemptive measures to replace the tank on my terms, instead of in an emergency situation.

i have considered the csv. for a long time, actually. i didn't go into purchasing a tank lightly. i just couldn't convince myself that a csv was right for my application.

Fair enough. If your tank and pump are lasting that long you certainly don't have an issue with cycling. Although new stuff isn't made like it was 30 years ago. A CSV would have only benefited you by delivering a constant pressure, saving some space with the smaller tank, and possibly saving some money (depending on which size tank you purchased).

No don't use anything on the barb fitting. Just on the threaded side.

sgl

Reaction score
Fair enough. If your tank and pump are lasting that long you certainly don't have an issue with cycling. Although new stuff isn't made like it was 30 years ago. A CSV would have only benefited you by delivering a constant pressure, saving some space with the smaller tank, and possibly saving some money (depending on which size tank you purchased).

No don't use anything on the barb fitting. Just on the threaded side.

i'm sure it's true that things today aren't made as well as a long time ago. but taking action now, i think, is a good idea. that way, i won't be in a situation where i'm desperate for water and just buy what's available at the local hardware store.

and thanks for the information about the fittings. i appreciate it.

sgl

Reaction score
all,

an update.

i replaced my tank, and everything went well. i used black poly to go to the tank. a heat gun worked well, and i had no issues. and it was easier to deal with than gluing pvc.

thanks to all for the advice. i got done the job that's been bugging me. i no longer have a tank that could have gone up at any time. and i learned a bit about black poly. all in all, a great result.

merry christmas,

sgl

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks