Pipe support

Users who are viewing this thread

Jwray

Reaction score
An amateur question, but somebody has to ask them :)

What is the preferred method (I'm OK on the spacing from my copy of the code. I need to know what material and process a real plumber would use.) for supporting and securing...

1. DWV drain lines both horizontal and vertical

2. DWV stubouts at sinks/lavs

3. Copper supply lines both horizontal and vertical

4. Copper stubouts at sinks/lavs, water closets, etc.

Thanks for helping out the novice. Just want to make sure I do it right.

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
They make PVC pipe strapping for DWV lines, also plastic J-hooks which work really well if you are close to wood structures. Stubouts are usually dry-fitted into the hubs unless the hub sits deep inside the wall. This allows for use of a desanko or other type fitting that gives you the hub to work off of instead of the piping. On copper piping they make tube talons, plastic J-hooks and copper clad drive-in J hooks. For the stubouts they make copper clad brackets that will allow you to solder them in place for stiffness. Wood can serve the same purpose as well.

Jwray

Reaction score
Testing w/dryfit stubouts??

"Stubouts are usually dry-fitted into the hubs..."

If you dryfit the stubouts how do you do a water head test for the inspector?

I thought I needed to glue in the stubout and use a glue in test cap or the like to seal things up for the test.

Can you clarify on that?

Thanks,

Joel

Finnegan

Reaction score
I guess the fernco cap would work, but I just stub out with pvc (cemented) and cap it. When it comes to to install the fixtures you just cut the caps. For copper supply lines, try to use the hangers which isolate the pipes from the framing. These are plastic and fit completely around the pipe and then have tabs or ears which attach to the framing. While there are all sorts of straps and hangers, it is always a good idea to keep a roll of plastic strapping for those add spots. When you use the strapping, don't just create a cradle between the joists on a horizontal run. You should loop the strapping around the pipe to minimize movement in all directions. You might want to use washers on drywall screws or large pan head screws to avoid the screw head pulling through the strapping.

pipe-hanger-oatey.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks