Pipe Suitable for Shroud?

Discussion in 'Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog' started by petegerster, May 2, 2012.

1. petegerster

petegerster New Member

I am in the process of gathering the materials to replace my jet pump with a submersible. My well has a 6 inch inside diameter. It is about 140 ft deep and the water surface level (with no pumping) is about 25 ft below the surface of the ground.

I intend to fabricate and install a shroud on the, yet to be delivered, 7GPM 1/2HP Gould pump model 7GS05422C. I have been unable to locate the recommended 4" PVC (astm 2729) thin wall sewer pipe. I can get 4" HDPE pipe (astm F 810). Can anyone advise me whether the HDPE pipe is a suitable replacement for the PVC? From what I have been able to find, the wall thickness of the HDPE is greater and the inside diameter appears to be about 1/8 inch. less.

I am concerned:
    (1) about the decreased area of the annulus around the pump through which the water would be forced to flow
    (2) whether the thicker HDPE material is too heavy to work with.

Thank you.
  2. valveman

valveman Moderator Staff Member

You really need some 100# thin wall 4" sewer pipe. HDPE is too thick to cut and draw in with hose clamps. You don't need much space between the motor and shround. 3.5" motor in 4" shroud is good to about 60 GPM.
  3. petegerster

petegerster New Member

Thank you for the helpful response. I will keep looking for the thin wall pipe.
  4. LLigetfa

LLigetfa DIYer, not in the trades

If the ID of 4" PVC used for casing is large enough, then it is just a matter of drawing it together. PVC is easy to mold when heated. To make sure the gap is even, use three SS machine screws spaced equally around the motor.
  5. valveman

valveman Moderator Staff Member

You would think making sure the gap is even is important, but it's not. I quit using buttons to center the motor maybe 30 years ago. But yes the thicker PVC can be used with a heat gun to help bend the PVC.
  6. Tom Sawyer

Tom Sawyer In the Trades

imagessd.jpg

Try one of these. They are adjustable
  7. craigpump

craigpump Member

pump shroud

For years I have made these with a piece of 4" schedule 40 pvc about 2' longer than the pump. I use a 4x1 abs well seal on the drop pipe above the pump to hold the shroud in place. An added benefit is that it will help keep heavy sediment from entering the pump and wearing it prematurely.
  8. LLigetfa

LLigetfa DIYer, not in the trades

Me thinks Tom is trolling.

A flow inducing shroud is not needed on a 1/2 HP motor for cooling but as was mentioned, it can help to separate sediment that may be entering from above. Using a well seal rather that cutting slits to draw the shroud in is a common practice.