pipe squeal

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by blove1344, Jan 4, 2013.

1. blove1344

blove1344 New Member

Just completed my bathroom remodel. The shower squeals for a few minutes after turning on the water then the squeal goes away. The noise
    sometimes starts right away but usually after it has been on a few minutes. It doesn't last long but can be loud and annoying. I removed
    the shower head and flushed the water line. Thought it might be debris. Could not get the head apart to clean it so I reinstalled it. I checked
    the water pressure and it reads 50 psi.
    Any suggestions?
  2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

It may be in the shower valve itself, but if not, it could be turbulence in the head. The only way to determine which is to use a different head to see if it goes away.
  3. blove1344

blove1344 New Member

Thanks, I'll try replacing the shower head first. Will let you know how it goes.
  4. blove1344

blove1344 New Member

I installed another new shower head. This one has adjustable flow. It squeals as bad or worse than
    the original, in any flow pattern. The control valve is new as well as the copper pipe from the valve
    to the shower head and spout. I installed cpvc from the valve to both supply lines,which are also cpvc.
    What do I do next?