1. Tabby411

Tabby411 New Member

I have read all I care to on water hammer. I guess I have a problem with air in the pipes but am not sure. I hear it whenever I turn on any water and it changes with amount of flow. It sounds like a loud version of the sound a jug makes when inverted which is what makes me believe it is air in lines. It is a slower "frequency" when a faucet is on low and the frequency and loudness increases with increased water flow. It eminates from where the supply comes into the house. This is city water and I do not believe I have a regulator unless it is outside underground somewhere.

Does this sound like air in the pipe at the entrance to the house and is there a way to get rid of it? Is this as potentially damaging as water hammer or is it just a noise issue?

Thanks
  2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

air?

It is not air, so you forget about that problem. It is more likely the sound of the water meter measuring the amount of water you are using, and if so you will just have to learn to live with it.