Pipe Noise/Vibration; Different catalysts; Don't want to outright call it hammer

Users who are viewing this thread

Rick44

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

<<I did read through many of the posts -- most noted that such a sound seems to occur either from toilet flappers or when faucets are turned off. This is not our case as you will see below.>>

Background...65 year old house. 2 floors + basement. Original copper piping. Plaster Walls. 2 full bathrooms on top floor, another shower in basement. Laundry machines in basement.

Pipe vibration occurs only during the following scenario. One of the particular showers upstairs. Single faucet (pull and push on). If this single faucet is pulled open with the temperature starting in the middle (that is NOT all the way to cold), pipe vibration occurs in the walls that sounds like a Michael Bay Transformer movie. Can last from 10-20 seconds. Hot water to come through takes only a few seconds.

This phenomenon does not occur with any other faucet/appliance-using-water in the house. We have both single on as well as hot + cold faucets throughout the house. The only other (possibly notable) item to note is that the other upstairs shower does require 10-20 seconds for the water to get hot (even when turned all the way to hot)...this is while the separate bathtub in the same bathroom takes only 1-3 seconds for the water to get hot.

The Band-Aid solution (which has been somewhat difficult to implement with small children) has been to have this faucet be turned on all the way to cold, then opened, then slowly turned to hot. No sound/vibration.

We are concerned that the vibration/rattling of the pipes could burst. To determine if they are not secured would be costly as well (plaster as well as determining where they are not moored).

Someone suggested this is water hammering, and to put a DIY arrestor on the washing machine...I could try however I question putting an arrestor in a place not somewhat nearer the source which causes the vibrations (the affecting shower faucet).

Thoughts ?
Many thanks in advance
Best,
Rick

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Putting an arrestor at the washer is both a cheap and easy test. Even if it is not on the direct path of the flow, it might alter the harmonics just enough to make a difference. There are also arrestors made to go where angle stops are but those take a bit more effort to install.

There is also the possibility that the plumbing has old style arrestors that are waterlogged so you could try draining all the plumbing in hopes of resurrecting them. That could cause more issues though as it could stir up sediment when the system is charged back up.

You may also try replacing the pressure balance spool in the shower.

Rick44

Reaction score
Thanks LLigetfa. I guess doing the easy test is easy and cheap - I'm just leery about doing so far away from the the affecting faucet. Will also take a look at the faucet itself and see if replacing the spool will help. THanks!

Rick44

Reaction score
Wow....Like a psychic......yes!
Let me rephrase.....the hand held is on the top outlet independent from the on/off faucet

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
There may be a defunctive vacuum breaker there. They have a flapper inside that allows air to flow in and help drain out water in the hand held assembly. Cap off the shower arm or temporarily screw on a cheap shower head and see if the noise goes away.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
1. Water hammer does NOT occur while the water is running
2. It is NOT a "vacuum breaker" problem either, because if it were it would happen no matter how you turned the water on.
3. A hammer arrestor is ONLY effective at the point where the hammer is occurring.
4. What is the make and model of the faucet or give us a picture of it. The problem is in, or near, that faucet.
5. If you have air chambers and want to regenerate them, you would have to turn the water off, open all the faucets, then wait a few weeks or months before turning the water back on, and even then it might not happen.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks