Pipe leaking behind shower..help!

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by Muse83, Apr 25, 2013.

1. Muse83

Muse83 New Member

Last night I discovered 2 small leaks in 2 spots behind our shower. I'm definitely don't possess any strong plumbing skills and just wanted your opinion on if this is an extremely easy fix that anyone could do or should I stick with calling someone out? Thanks

photo (1).jpg
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2013
  2. cacher_chick

cacher_chick Test, Don't Guess!

A quick fix would be to just put together a new riser for the shower head, which would require sweating (soldering) copper.

In the bigger picture, if you were looking for an upgrade, this would be a good time to have a new single handle anti-scald shower valve installed in place of that old valve.

[​IMG]
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2013
  3. Muse83

Muse83 New Member

Thanks for the reply! It's a tub/shower combo so I don't think I could have the single valve could I? I'm lost with anything to do with plumbing so be patient with me haha. By riser you're referring to the copper pipe that goes up to the actual shower head right? Would it be as easy as just unscrewing the long copper pipe and replacing it with a new one?
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2013
  4. cacher_chick

cacher_chick Test, Don't Guess!

The fittings on the ends of the riser pipe are soldered on by the installer. Judging by your questions, it would be in your best interest to bring in a plumber to repair it for you.
  5. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

It would be a shame to bring in a plumber, and not replace the valve at the same time.
    Yes, a single handle valve works with tubs. The tub spout uses a diverter for the shower.

[​IMG]
  6. asktom

asktom Member

It looks like a male adapter on the bottom, so that should unscrew, but the top where the shower arm threads in should be fastened in some way. You may have a complication at that end.
  7. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

We cut those out and go a little higher.
  8. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

The top is also a male adapter, but it will NOT unscrew if the elbow at the top was fastened properly.