Pipe leak at water shut off or ground water?

What is the cause of the leak?

• Water main pipe

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Groundwater

• Other

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

Alden

Reaction score
We're in the middle of a basement remodel and now there is water dripping off the wall around the water shut off valve. The wall is damp to the left and right of the valve, not just beneath at the 90.

We did replace the old valve and may have damaged the old pipe in the foundation in the process. There is a noticeable slight hissing noise at the valve area. It is rainy here in Portland so not sure if this is a water main issue or a groundwater intrusion issue. I don't want to pay to have the water main replaced if it's groundwater or something else.

How can I determine the cause?

Could it be something other than the main pipe or groundwater?

If it is the main, what is the best trenchless method to replace the pipe and keep the inlet in the exact same location in the basement?

Thanks in advance.

IMG_2218.JPG
IMG_2219.JPG

Themp

Reaction score
Turn the shutoff valve in the picture off. Then go to the meter at the street and see if the dial is moving. If it is then you have a leak somewhere from the meter to the shutoff valve in the basement. If the meter does not move with the shutoff valve off then you have ground water intrusion.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks