Pipe from well to house / frost line

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
Bought a house with a 100ft pipe house to well, the previous owner told me could potentially freeze if unattended. He used the place weekends, we use it all the time. He had a heat tape buried for part of the way but tore it out before we bought the place. I had dirt delivered last week to build a berm over the pipe to "bury" it deeper, probably at least a foot, probably more. We're near Albany, NY...gets cold. Seem a decent solution?

Reach4

Reaction score
Sorry, I didn't mean to mislead...the pipes buried well below a foot, been there since 1980 when the house was built. My question is whether adding dirt on top of the ground is a good idea to make the pipe "deeper" as a result.
Yes. Good idea. A berm will help a lot. I don't know how wide the berm would have to be, but I would think the berm if would have to be wide enough to keep the pipe farther from the air than the freeze line depth (45 or 48 inches maybe) at all angles -- not just straight vertical.

Note that you need to cover the dirt with topsoil if you want grass to grow successfully. I suspect black dirt could be clay dyed black.

I wonder what it would cost to get a new poly pipe trenched 4 ft down. How will that compare against 100 yards of dirt and topsoil added. I don't know.

Reaction score
Already heading in that direction...bought 4 yards of dirt for that and other purposes. I really appreciate your thoughts...thanks.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Given your location, the pipe should be at least 4 feet below grade. You could get away with a bit less if there is a couple inches of EPS foamboard sandwiched between the pipe and the soil.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks