Pipe freezers, are they worth getting?

Users who are viewing this thread

Jango

Reaction score
Hi, I'm seriously considering getting myself a freezemaster pipe freezer. I'm sick of having to drain down all the time just to fix a leaky joint or to change a valve and I think it would be a fantastic tool to have.

They don't come cheap though. I'm looking to get the 280D version as it's the cheapest and it's aimed directly at the domestic installer, which is what I am.

I won't get much change out of £800 for it though, and it's only got a one year manufacturers guarantee on it. So I was wondering if anyone has any feedback on them.

Are they reliable?

Am I likely to get at least a few years trouble free service from them?

Anything else you can think of regarding pipefreezers that may be of interest.

Cheers.:)

Patrick88

Plumber
Reaction score
I have not used them.
My old boss used one to replace about 12 zone valves in a condo. I guess the zone valves were in the ceilings infront of each condo unit, and it was winter so draining the system was not really an option. The apprentice that help him was about as bright as a monkey. I'm told it was real easy to use. My boss did not see a need to buy the machine. It was a loaner from his brother.

I guess what I'm saying is if you think you have alot of use for the machine it is a great tool.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
I never owned one. It would only make sense if it was something that you would use more than just once-in-a-lifetime. Of course, on that one time when you absolutley need it , it is a lifesaver. But can you recover the cost.

If your area has a lot of properties which by the nature of their contruction often call for such equipement, then perhaps you could pick up some good-paying jobs by being the only guy on the block to own one!

Remember that you need a LARGE CO2 cylinder, and need to be prepared to replace that cylinder during the job if the work takes too long. If you are working in confined spaces, like an equipment room or crawl space, you need to provide ventilatin and probably CO2 monitoring.

Jango

Reaction score
Thanks for your input guys.

Jimbo, the item I'm looking to get doesn't need a Co2 cylinder, it runs of the electric mains. That's the beauty of it. As long as it's connected to the electrical supply it will keep the pipe frozen. And even in the event of a powercut, the ice block will remain in the pipe for at least half an hour.

I don't know how long it would take me to recover the costs in financial terms, but in terms of time saved I think it would be more than worth it.

In the last week alone, I went to two jobs where I had to drain down the entire system just to fix a leaky compression joint and then to replace a two port valve.

On the re-fill I had a complete nightmare trying to get rid of all the airlocks. With a pipe freezer I could be in and out of a job like that within an hour.

These are the pipe freezers I have in mind. I've got my eye on the 280D model.

http://www.freezemaster.co.uk/

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
You need to make a profit on that investment. You have to save a lot of hours to pay back that 800 Sterling. And you have to figure out how to bill your customers to make your profit.

Patrick88

Plumber
Reaction score
I would charge the same price or more as if i did not have the new high tech tool.

This is a hours saver for the plumber not a hours saver for the customer. The plumber is now able to do more jobs/work faster so that equals more $$. That is the whole point of paying for new high tech tools. Get the job done faster but make the same money, or more. Then go to the next job faster. This equals happy customers in the long term. You are not in there home any longer than you need to be.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
charge

In that case you are being altruistic. If you do not charge more for the machine, how will you recover the cost or pay for repairs. If the water flow cannot be stopped, then most freezing devices will not work, just like you cannot easily freeze a flowing river.

Dubldare

Plumber/Gasfitter
Reaction score
I use a General freeze kit where I work, CO2 setup. Runs up to 2" steel. I always make sure I have 2 20# tanks full before I freeze.

We bill out the CO2 and $100 for the kit. Depending on the application, the customer is always getting a deal on that.

Got_Nailed

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I don’t own a pipe freezer but I do know someone who has one. His is a Co2 model. I have rented it off him a few times for $50 and I always use about one 20 # tank and sometimes 2 tanks. I end up charging $175 if I use it.

I mostly do new construction and 80% of the repair work I do is well. When I start plumbing full time I will end up getting one.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks