Pipe extender stuck in tub spout

Users who are viewing this thread

Angela Cowan

Reaction score
I'm trying to install new shower/tub hardware. I removed the old trim and installed the tub spout with the extender first. As I was installing the handle trim, the tightening of the screws pulled the valve toward the wall some and now the spout sticks out to far. I removed the spout to remove the pipe extender, but alas it's stuck inside the spout. I've tried wd-40 and ice inside the extender (trying to shrink it a bit). I've used pliers and a ratchet/socket set to try and get a good grip on it. No luck yet. Any suggestions are much appreciated!

Reach4

Reaction score
How about a photo of this "extender". Are you referring to a brass pipe nipple?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If this is a push-on spout, you may have tightened the setscrew so much that you distorted the pipe, and that's what's making it difficult to now remove it. Those make a seal with O-rings, but you hold it in place with the setscrew. If the pipe in the wall is not anchored well to blocking behind, you won't have much to pull against as the pipe will move. It should come off, but may take some force, and it might damage the O-ring.

Angela Cowan

Reaction score
How about a photo of this "extender". Are you referring to a brass pipe nipple?
Sorry, I can't figure out how to upload the image from my phone. The pipe that comes out of the wall for the spout. I have a universal pfister kit and it came with a 1" part that extends that pipe so the spout fits. That 1" piece is stuck inside the spout now. I screwed them all together too tight and when I removed the spout, that extender is still inside. And it's a front screw spout so it's all the way in there.

Angela Cowan

Reaction score
If this is a push-on spout, you may have tightened the setscrew so much that you distorted the pipe, and that's what's making it difficult to now remove it. Those make a seal with O-rings, but you hold it in place with the setscrew. If the pipe in the wall is not anchored well to blocking behind, you won't have much to pull against as the pipe will move. It should come off, but may take some force, and it might damage the O-ring.
I'm still learning the jargon lol but I don't think it's push on. I believe it's called a front screw spout.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Internal pipe wrench.jpg
Okay, You have a screw-on spout. If the joint between the adapter and the spout is sound (i.e., you used pipe dope or PTFE tape on it to seal things), then you don't need to remove the adapter from the spout...can't you just screw it back onto the fitting at the wall? Well, some of those also use O-rings, so you might not have needed any sealant.

If you do want to remove it, then you might need to go buy an inside pipe wrench. They're not expensive in the scheme of things. Those have a little cam that when you turn the shaft, tightens against the inside of the fitting so you can continue to then unscrew it. Here's one type, and there are others that are similar

WanabePlumber

Reaction score
I have the same problem I think. The pipe that is stuck in the spout does not come out, nor does it screw back on. There is no room for a pipe wrench to remove it. I am not able to see what is preventing it to be screwed back on, the plumber had no problem screwing it off. It is a Grohe Tempersafe pressure balance valve model which is no longer available.
It was removed to plug the pipe so the water to the house could be turned back on while waiting for parts.

Groeh Tempersafe spout.jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I have the same problem I think. The pipe that is stuck in the spout does not come out, nor does it screw back on. There is no room for a pipe wrench to remove it. I am not able to see what is preventing it to be screwed back on, the plumber had no problem screwing it off. It is a Grohe Tempersafe pressure balance valve model which is no longer available.
It was removed to plug the pipe so the water to the house could be turned back on while waiting for parts.
That is a 1/2" pipe nipple threaded into the tub spout. It will unthread. Are you reinstalling this spout? If so, I would remove the temporary nipple and cap that the plumber left you and thread this back in.

Reach4

Reaction score
WanabePlumber: For test purposes, I would get a 1/2 inch galvanized (cheaper) nipple to see if that will screw into the wall.

If it does, maybe the brass nipple in the spout is damaged.

There are tools to clean up threads.

If you were to want to remove that nipple without damaging it, my tool of choice would be a curved-jaw locking pliers.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks