Pipe Dope vs. Teflon Tape

Users who are viewing this thread

Chefwong

Reaction score
What is the pros and cons of *dope* vs. tape. I recall somewhere where it was stated that tape acts more as a *lubricant* so that when the next time you unscrew the pipe, the tape acts acts as a lube.

Dunno bout you pros but I tend to use Hercules Block for gas fittings/pipes and Real Tuff for Water Supply. When doing the fittings on the gas coming out of the wall....I use Real Tuff as well since it cleans easier than Block.

Love to hear what you guys use - reasons, pros/cons of different products, etc.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I use "regular" Oatey pipe dope on water and gas. The reasons are these. It's very quick and easy to apply without worrying about going the right direction or being too heavy. It is also very effective and that's why we use anything. Joints don't leak. Oh yeah, I went through a period of using tape. The white kind for water and air, the yellow for gas, but such a hassel to get it wound on the right direction, not too heavy but not too light. It did work, but dope is quicker. The only drawback, if you wish to consider this a drawback, is dope can be messy.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks