Pipe coming into house wrapped??

Discussion in 'Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog' started by nickyg, Feb 16, 2006.

1. nickyg

nickyg New Member

My well enters the house through a pipe in the basement. This pipe is wrapped with some sort of cloth or paper material and then tons of clear tape over the cloth. Looks like some kind of amateur rigging... Can I remove this wrap? I need to get down to the steel itself to replace some piping and the pressure valve. Any idea why this was done? Condensation???
  2. speedbump

speedbump Previous member

Condensation or freezing would be my guess. Or they didn't want anyone to see their amateur plumbing job.

bob...
  3. nickyg

nickyg New Member

Can I get rid of it to do some maintenance??? If I do remove it and notice freezing or condensation, what do you recommend I re-wrap the pipes with??
  4. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

foam pipe insulation is available in pretty much any size you need. You will find some sizes in the big box stores, but you might have to go to a plumbing supply house for typically the bigger stuff.