pipe coming from sink trap

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by richb2, Feb 21, 2006.

1. richb2

richb2 New Member

Two questions:

1) should the horizontal pipe coming from a trap be angled down?

2) what height must the "fake gas valve" be at? Should it be higher that the bottom of the sink? Can it be lower than this?

One more thing.

I am going to set the toilet today. What should I use on the floor around the base of the toilet (not the wax ring). I have heard of plaster of Paris, plumbers putty, and clear silicon caulk. Which is best?
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2006
  2. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

I give up: what is a fake gas valve?

Regarding the toilet, plumbers putty may stain some types of flooring, and will itself get stained and ugly.

Plaster of paris seems like overkill, and messy.

A tub/tile rated caulk of a color to complement the floor, or white to blend with the toilet, is your best choice.

None of these is meant to compensate a toilet which rocks. If the floor is uneven, you must fix the toilet with shims first. Only then apply the caulk as a cosmetic measure.
  3. richb2

richb2 New Member

well the floor is level. I know that because I leveled it with SLC. The toilet flange itself is slightly not level, but I got an extra thick wax doughnut to make up for that.
  4. 1) Drain pipe should be sloped 1/4" per linear foot toward the main drain. However, that often isn't possible under a sink, but it should never slope up.
    2) By "fake gas valve", I assume that you mean an air admittance valve that is installed in lieu of a vent pipe. An air admittance valve should be installed as high as possible under the sink, in the line after the trap.
    www.studor.net
    3) Use flexible caulk with mold/mildew resistance, and only put it around the sides and front. Leave the back bottom of the toilet base open in order to detect future leaks more easily.
    Good Luck!
    Mike