pipe and filter size

Users who are viewing this thread

Bos

Reaction score
i recently had a well repair company replace my 3 hp, 50 gpm submersible pump with a 5hp 60gpm pump. The system is plumbed with 1 1/4" pipe and a sand separator filter rated for 28-48 gpm. the system started and stopped with a severe jolt every time it cycled and continued to get worse. eventually started hammering and breaking pipe fittings. My question? did the 5 hp pump ever have a chance of working properly on 1 1/4" pipe and the sand separator filter in the system? ( I have 2 (two) 80 gal. pressure tanks in the system) When i had another company pull the pump they found a leak in a down pipe joint, and the pump was blued on both the motor end and water end. What are your thoughts? Thanks!

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
Your new pump is likely moving twice the water or at least at twice the velocity. The water is shutting off at too high a flow rate, too quickly. And it might be pumping the well dry. If this is anything like residential use, you might need 5 or 10 tanks to get the correct cycle time on that pump. I would pump into a 4000 gallon tank and pump out with a booster into the tanks.

The pipe size is irrelevant, you need a lower flow at shut off, [much higher pressure] or a smaller pump, or perhaps a CSV if the pipe will survive it. Water hammer will break ANY pipe or fitting.

More is often not better in pumping systems.

Did anyone do any CALCULATIONS before choosing a new pump?

The filter is giving some back pressure which in this case is good.

Unless you have a large farm or factory with an automatic fire sprinkler system, you could run with a 1.5 HP pump and be far ahead. If you do have that factory, I would bust out 600 bucks for a 4000 gallon tank. Filter after it with a CORRECT submersibnle or booster pump in or on the tank. The tank will pull out half the sand anyway. I feed three properties with a 1.5 hp pump and a large tank.

Ask your pump company about a slow start and or dole valves. If they can't answer it, find another educated one.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks