Pink Tub needs Permanent Shower

Users who are viewing this thread

hotguy8289

Reaction score
I'm fresh to this forum and I have a few questions I hope I can get help with. I bought my 1958 home about a year ago here in southern MN. The main bath had only a tub with no shower. I purchased one of those cheap temporary shower things you clamp onto the bathtub spigot. Though it works fine (good pressure, drainage, etc) I'm getting some sort of moisture in the wall behind as the plastic tiles used on the walls of tub surround have started to buckle and loosen around the spigot/faucet area. I'm sure the damage I've done up to this point is minimal, but I don't want to ruin this house. Budget is a big concern. I'm not remodeling the house, but if I have to do this, I might as well do it right.

I'd like a permanent shower with a STURDY grab handle in it.
I'm not a DIYer really but can learn stuff pretty quick.
I'd live with a fiberglass surround but tile would be really nice.
I assume I'll hire a plumber for the water-works. What can I expect to pay for the knockout, plumbing, for a shower spout?
I can't remember the last time I took a bath, but I'd like the tub to stay. It's in great shape.
Why were cheesy plastic tiles with glue used?

The house is like a brand-new 1958 ranch style home. The sink and tub are a lovely pink color. I dig it. Pink and black tile would make this one cool bathroom.
I'd love to hear anyones input. Thanks for your time.

Tony

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
bath

Plastic tile was glued on with plastic tile cement, which is really tough stuff to remove. Pink and gray was the "in" thing then. Installing a new valve and shower will be fairly easy once the wall is opened up.

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
pink tile

If I were you......Take off the walls in the recess and put up cement board or something that can't be harmed by water.

Install a new tub and shower faucet.

Install ceramic tile..

Calk all the holes real well when you trim out the new faucet.

If you do it that way then only the water that you let get through the sliding shower door or around the curtain will get downstairs on the ceiling.......

And you can't blame it on your plumbing job.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Go over to www.johnbridge.com . They didn't waterproof the walls or use a water resistant glue because there wasn't a shower, and the walls don't normally get wet. Now that you are spraying around a lot of water, that is a big issue. If the tub filler has not been changed, it won't have an anti-scald feature, which is required in a remodel or new construction, either. So, replace that with a new one. Once you have the walls torn out so you can put up cement board, it should be easy to update the valve with one designed for tub/shower. Prior to putting up the cbu, put a vapor barrier on the walls - either tar paper, or plastic sheeting. There is a whole lot of info on that website and you can get all of the tiling specific info you want (as opposed to mostly plumbers who don't do tile as a main task here). Since you are mixing professions, it doesn't hurt to divide your requests for info.

hotguy8289

Reaction score
Thanks alot for the input! I'll check out the sites and continue with my homework. You've given me excellent info on where to start.

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
shower

Forgot to mention that if you put up grab bars, towel bars or anything else, make sure to nail or screw in some 2x backing in those areas.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks