Pinholes in copper vent pipe

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by chel_in_IL, Nov 12, 2007.

1. markts30

markts30 Commercial Plumber

The condensation tends to form and collect on the horizontal pipes only...
    Chances are all the horizontal piping in the home (copper waste piping I mean) has a similar problem... In the vertical piping it would tend to drain...
  2. Verdeboy

Verdeboy In the Trades

Then, wouldn't you expect the holes to be on the bottom of the horizontal pipes, since any droplets that would theoretically form, should pool up on the bottom, rather than the top.
  3. kordts

kordts In the Trades

It's the gas. Towns with sulphur in the water are notorious for this. Usually it's the top of the drain lines, but sometimes the vents.
  4. chel_in_IL

chel_in_IL New Member

I checked all the other copper piping in the house, and they all look fine. It's a small house, and all the piping is confined to one area in the basement, which is accessible near the furnace (nothing in the walls, except for the upstairs bathroom that I am remodeling).

As you guys found this interesting, here's a pic of what the inside of the pipe looked like. There was about 1/2" of powdered corrosion sitting in the bottom of the pipe... (but the bottom of the pipe didn't have -any- holes).

[​IMG]
  5. Raucina

Raucina Previous member

scrap as much copper as you can saw out and it will pay for the new plastic pipe and maybe a short vacation.